Weaving A Great Turning: Transition Albany Takes It Step-by-Step
by Pamela O'Malley ChangJun 10, 2010
- A follow-up on the efforts to transform a 1.7-square-mile California town into a self-sufficient and resilient community.
Lighting the Way to a New Economy
by David KortenMay 31, 2010
- All across the United States and Canada people are rebuilding their local economies to restore community and regain control of their economic lives. How do these local efforts add up to global economic transformation? I delivered this keynote address to the Business Alliance for Local Living Economies (BALLE) in Charleston, NC on May 22, 2010 on the theme "Lighting the Way to a New Economy."
Jobs, Not Handouts
by David KortenMay 09, 2010
- David Korten: Wall Street's plunge shows what's wrong with phantom wealth. Why support that system when we could be creating jobs in the real economy?
A New Deal for Local Economies
by Stacy MitchellApr 29, 2010
- More local, durable economies are already taking root. We can help them along by changing the way we regulate businesses, plan cities, and finance the communities we want.
Welcome to Eaarth
by Scott GastApr 27, 2010
- Bill McKibben’s latest book explores what it’ll take to live on a planet less sweet than it used to be. During a recent stop in Seattle, he described the smaller, slower, and wiser future that may be our best bet.
Making Money Work: How Can We Reconnect Capital with Community?
by Stacy MitchellApr 23, 2010
- Our investments tend to fund consolidation and speculation. But new models are emerging that allow us to finance the economy we really want.
Local Economies Close the Distance Between Us
by Stacy MitchellApr 13, 2010
- But our city planning policies are rigged against them. How can we support neighborhood businesses that slow the pace of life and encourage people to get to know each other?
Breaking the Curse of Bigness
by Stacy MitchellApr 07, 2010
- Resilience depends on diversity, but banks and businesses just keep getting bigger. How can we break the cycle?
Move Your Money and Save
by Stacy MitchellApr 07, 2010
- Big banks don't just undermine local economies—they're bad for your wallet, too.
Help for Haiti: Time for New Ideas
by Nikhil AzizMar 29, 2010
- International aid has increased Haiti's food dependency and undermined its democracy. How can the world help Haiti recover without repeating past mistakes?
Church in Our Times: Spirit and Security in the Face of Crisis
by Andrée ZaleskaMar 15, 2010
- Churches are rediscovering their role as community centers, helping to relocalize and revitalize struggling communities.
Economics & Solidarity in the 21st Century
by Grace Lee BoggsFeb 26, 2010
- A broken Haiti highlights the need for locally-rooted and resilient economies everywhere.
The Power of Local
by Jeff MilchenFeb 18, 2010
- Through mutual support and community education, independent businesses are finding ways to promote local economies and even outperform chains.
This Valentine's Day, Break Up With Your Wall Street Credit Card
by Chuck CollinsFeb 12, 2010
- Hidden fees? Fine print? International financial meltdown? It might be time to re-evaluate your relationship.
The Work that Reconnects
by Pamela O'Malley ChangFeb 09, 2010
- As residents plan Transition Albany, they're turning to Joanna Macy for guidance in building resilient communities.