Keeping benefits and accountability close to home.
A DIY Civilization
by Colleen Shaddoxposted Mar 26, 2012
- Can we create the machines of modern life sustainably, cheaply, and close to home?
Is It Time to Tax the Internet?
by Jay Walljasperposted Mar 06, 2012
- How our communities can stop losing out on business and tax revenue.
5 Ways to Make Your Dollars Make Sense
by Michael Shumanposted Feb 14, 2012
- Concerned about Wall Street’s devastating impact on communities? Then invest in yourself—the most local investment of all.
A Separation of Church and Bank
posted Feb 13, 2012
- Video: After Bank of America foreclosed on thousands of homes in their San Jose parish, the members of this Catholic church bid it goodbye—and took $3 million with them.
My Prices Are Not Too High: A Farmer Fires Back
by Shannon Hayesposted Jan 30, 2012
- Shannon Hayes: Why are my prices higher than those at the supermarket? Glad you asked.
Local Economies for a Global Future
by Jason F. McLennanposted Jan 19, 2012
- Yes, we need to relocalize—but that doesn’t mean we're headed for provincialism. Anticipating our near-heavy, far-light future.
For Farmers Everywhere, Small is (Still) Beautiful
by Robin Broad, John Cavanaghposted Jan 17, 2012
- Whether you’re worried about hunger, social crises, or climate change, the solution is the same: small-scale farming.
Why Own When You Can Share?
posted Jan 11, 2012
- Welcome to the new age of collaborative consumption.
Work, Reimagined: Detroit Gets Creative
by Zak Rosenposted Jan 05, 2012
- How residents of America’s most famously down and out city are building livelihoods that also rebuild their communities.
The Great Money Migration
by Mark Englerposted Nov 07, 2011
- Just how effective was Bank Transfer Day?
Bank Transfer Day: A Guide to Closing Your Account
posted Oct 25, 2011
- To protest the behavior of big banks, thousands pledged to switch to small credit unions on November 5. It’s not too late to join them by following these steps.
7 Smart Solutions for DIY Jobs
posted Oct 04, 2011
- One alternative to looking for a job is to make your own. Here are seven ways communities are offering tools, training, and bright ideas to get workers started.
Local Jobs Through Local Banking
posted Sep 26, 2011
- Not just the recession: What our banking system has to do with our unemployment crisis, and what we can do about it.
Need a Job? Create Your Own
posted Sep 21, 2011
- Meet five entrepreneurs who said no to corporate jobs.
The Return of “Made in the U.S.A.”
by Jessica Reederposted Sep 12, 2011
- In a time of layoffs and outsourcing, something surprising is happening in San Francisco and New York: manufacturing jobs are on the rise.