Breaking Through Concrete: An Urban Farm Roadtrip
by David Hanson, Edwin Marty, Michael HansonAug 17, 2012
- Farmers across the country are taking to rooftops, vacant lots, any space they can find to build an urban farm revival.
The Downsides of Upselling: 4 Tips from the Farm
by Shannon HayesAug 15, 2012
- Shannon Hayes on keeping a human face on her capitalist ventures and learning to say “enough” when the market calls.
A New Era of Worker Ownership?
by Gar AlperovitzJul 11, 2012
- All over the country, people—like the workers of Chicago’s New Era Windows—are building worker-owned cooperatives that root jobs in the communities that need them.
One More Benefit of Local Food
by Shannon HayesJun 28, 2012
- A farmer sings the praises of having non-farmers close at hand.
Lessons for Building Lively Local Economies
by Grace BoggsMay 29, 2012
- Grace Boggs on what she learned at the 2012 BALLE conference.
The Perks of Being Gainfully Unemployed
by Shannon HayesMay 18, 2012
- Is job security real security? Shannon Hayes makes the case for diversifying your income.
Mobile Slaughterhouses Help Meat Go Local
by Katherine GustafsonMay 10, 2012
- Scarcity of certified processing facilities is one reason the meat industry is so consolidated—so farmer Bruce Dunlop invented a mobile slaughterhouse.
How I Found Happiness (in 130 Square Feet)
by Ella JenkinsMay 10, 2012
- Photo Essay: Don’t think you know how to build your own house? Neither did 23-year-old Ella Jenkins before she picked up the tools and started.
Move Our Money Month
May 09, 2012
- Still haven’t moved your money out of Wall Street?
Farmers Markets Move Online
by Katherine GustafsonApr 26, 2012
- Regional, web-based services to connect small-time growers to consumers are popping up around the country.
A DIY Civilization
by Colleen ShaddoxMar 26, 2012
- Can we create the machines of modern life sustainably, cheaply, and close to home?
Is It Time to Tax the Internet?
by Jay WalljasperMar 06, 2012
- How our communities can stop losing out on business and tax revenue.
5 Ways to Make Your Dollars Make Sense
by Michael ShumanFeb 14, 2012
- Concerned about Wall Street’s devastating impact on communities? Then invest in yourself—the most local investment of all.
A Separation of Church and Bank
Feb 13, 2012
- Video: After Bank of America foreclosed on thousands of homes in their San Jose parish, the members of this Catholic church bid it goodbye—and took $3 million with them.
My Prices Are Not Too High: A Farmer Fires Back
by Shannon HayesJan 30, 2012
- Shannon Hayes: Why are my prices higher than those at the supermarket? Glad you asked.