Mobile Slaughterhouses Help Meat Go Local
by Katherine GustafsonMay 10, 2012
- Scarcity of certified processing facilities is one reason the meat industry is so consolidated—so farmer Bruce Dunlop invented a mobile slaughterhouse.
How I Found Happiness (in 130 Square Feet)
by Ella JenkinsMay 10, 2012
- Photo Essay: Don’t think you know how to build your own house? Neither did 23-year-old Ella Jenkins before she picked up the tools and started.
Move Our Money Month
May 09, 2012
- Still haven’t moved your money out of Wall Street?
Farmers Markets Move Online
by Katherine GustafsonApr 26, 2012
- Regional, web-based services to connect small-time growers to consumers are popping up around the country.
A DIY Civilization
by Colleen ShaddoxMar 26, 2012
- Can we create the machines of modern life sustainably, cheaply, and close to home?
Is It Time to Tax the Internet?
by Jay WalljasperMar 06, 2012
- How our communities can stop losing out on business and tax revenue.
5 Ways to Make Your Dollars Make Sense
by Michael ShumanFeb 14, 2012
- Concerned about Wall Street’s devastating impact on communities? Then invest in yourself—the most local investment of all.
A Separation of Church and Bank
Feb 13, 2012
- Video: After Bank of America foreclosed on thousands of homes in their San Jose parish, the members of this Catholic church bid it goodbye—and took $3 million with them.
My Prices Are Not Too High: A Farmer Fires Back
by Shannon HayesJan 30, 2012
- Shannon Hayes: Why are my prices higher than those at the supermarket? Glad you asked.
Local Economies for a Global Future
by Jason F. McLennanJan 19, 2012
- Yes, we need to relocalize—but that doesn’t mean we're headed for provincialism. Anticipating our near-heavy, far-light future.
For Farmers Everywhere, Small is (Still) Beautiful
by Robin Broad, John CavanaghJan 17, 2012
- Whether you’re worried about hunger, social crises, or climate change, the solution is the same: small-scale farming.
Why Own When You Can Share?
Jan 11, 2012
- Welcome to the new age of collaborative consumption.
Work, Reimagined: Detroit Gets Creative
by Zak RosenJan 05, 2012
- How residents of America’s most famously down and out city are building livelihoods that also rebuild their communities.
The Great Money Migration
by Mark EnglerNov 07, 2011
- Just how effective was Bank Transfer Day?
Bank Transfer Day: A Guide to Closing Your Account
Oct 25, 2011
- To protest the behavior of big banks, thousands pledged to switch to small credit unions on November 5. It’s not too late to join them by following these steps.