Is It Time to Tax the Internet?
by Jay WalljasperMar 06, 2012
- How our communities can stop losing out on business and tax revenue.
5 Ways to Make Your Dollars Make Sense
by Michael ShumanFeb 14, 2012
- Concerned about Wall Street’s devastating impact on communities? Then invest in yourself—the most local investment of all.
A Separation of Church and Bank
Feb 13, 2012
- Video: After Bank of America foreclosed on thousands of homes in their San Jose parish, the members of this Catholic church bid it goodbye—and took $3 million with them.
My Prices Are Not Too High: A Farmer Fires Back
by Shannon HayesJan 30, 2012
- Shannon Hayes: Why are my prices higher than those at the supermarket? Glad you asked.
Local Economies for a Global Future
by Jason F. McLennanJan 19, 2012
- Yes, we need to relocalize—but that doesn’t mean we're headed for provincialism. Anticipating our near-heavy, far-light future.
For Farmers Everywhere, Small is (Still) Beautiful
by Robin Broad, John CavanaghJan 17, 2012
- Whether you’re worried about hunger, social crises, or climate change, the solution is the same: small-scale farming.
Why Own When You Can Share?
Jan 11, 2012
- Welcome to the new age of collaborative consumption.
Work, Reimagined: Detroit Gets Creative
by Zak RosenJan 05, 2012
- How residents of America’s most famously down and out city are building livelihoods that also rebuild their communities.
The Great Money Migration
by Mark EnglerNov 07, 2011
- Just how effective was Bank Transfer Day?
Bank Transfer Day: A Guide to Closing Your Account
Oct 25, 2011
- To protest the behavior of big banks, thousands pledged to switch to small credit unions on November 5. It’s not too late to join them by following these steps.
7 Smart Solutions for DIY Jobs
Oct 04, 2011
- One alternative to looking for a job is to make your own. Here are seven ways communities are offering tools, training, and bright ideas to get workers started.
Local Jobs Through Local Banking
Sep 26, 2011
- Not just the recession: What our banking system has to do with our unemployment crisis, and what we can do about it.
Need a Job? Create Your Own
Sep 21, 2011
- Meet five entrepreneurs who said no to corporate jobs.
The Return of “Made in the U.S.A.”
by Jessica ReederSep 12, 2011
- In a time of layoffs and outsourcing, something surprising is happening in San Francisco and New York: manufacturing jobs are on the rise.
Radical Homemakers vs. the Hurricane
by Shannon HayesAug 30, 2011
- Shannon Hayes reports from Schoharie County, New York, which was hard-hit by Hurricane Irene.