Measuring Real Wealth
There's more to life than GDP.
"Black Women’s Blueprint" Helps Low-Income Women Get By—Through Bartering
by Laura Flandersposted May 30, 2014
- Farah Tanis learned that, of the women in poverty she worked with, 9 out of 10 had experienced violence—so she started a bartering network to help them survive.
Dear Paul Krugman: Is GDP Growth Making Us Richer or Poorer? (Please Clarify.)
by Herman Dalyposted May 06, 2014
- Is Paul Krugman just advocating temporary growth up to some level of optimality, or a truly ever-growing economy?
Don’t Laugh: The UN’s First International Happiness Day is Serious Business
by Frances Moore Lappéposted Mar 20, 2013
- Frances Moore Lappé on how countries and cities around the world, from Bhutan to Boston, are measuring well-being beyond GDP.
Manifesto for a Post-Growth Economy
by James Gustave Spethposted Sep 19, 2012
- What single change stands to give Americans more free time, healthier ecosystems, and more meaningful jobs?
Growing Beyond Growth for True Democracy
by J.A. Myersonposted Jul 03, 2012
- When democracy is not determined by economic power, it is possible to imagine alternatives to “growth” and “austerity.”
A Vision of America the Possible
by Gus Spethposted May 08, 2012
- Gus Speth imagines a compelling vision of a better, happier country—and how to make it possible.
The UN Embraces the Economics of Happiness
by Laura Musikanskiposted Apr 12, 2012
- Leaders from around the world want well-being—not gross national product—to guide our economic decisions.
Why Leaving Goldman Sachs Breaks the Rules of the Game
by Elizabeth Dotyposted Mar 23, 2012
- Defector Greg Smith has been called dishonest, unprofessional, and self-serving. But what might he be telling us about how to do business responsibly?
Beyond Debt: An Economy of Gratitude
by Charles Eisensteinposted Mar 12, 2012
- Charles Eisenstein reviews David Graeber’s book, Debt: The First 5,000 Years.
California’s New Triple Bottom Line
by Sven Eberlein, Debra Baidaposted Feb 09, 2012
- Best in the world? Try best FOR the world. The Golden State welcomes a new kind of corporation.
Beyond the Bubble Economy
by David Kortenposted Feb 02, 2012
- We’ve finally learned that a growing financial sector isn’t the same thing as actual economic improvement. So how can we stimulate the real economy?
A Tale of Two Cities: Beijing and Detroit
by Helena Norberg-Hodgeposted Jan 26, 2012
- Which symbolizes success, and which disintegration? It may not be what you think.
Why Own When You Can Share?
posted Jan 11, 2012
- Welcome to the new age of collaborative consumption.
We (Still) Want Bread, and Roses Too
by John de Graafposted Jan 10, 2012
- The centennial of the famous strike in Lawrence, Mass., reminds us that our fight is about more than economics.
To Build Community, an Economy of Gifts
by Charles Eisensteinposted Dec 27, 2011
- For a multitude of reasons, we need to need each other.