Measuring Real Wealth
There's more to life than GDP.
The Happy Planet Index
posted Oct 08, 2010
- Video: Forget the GDP. There's a new way to measure the good things in life.
What is Real Wealth?
by John Robbinsposted Aug 31, 2010
- In an essay adapted from his new book, The New Good Life, John Robbins points out that we've been measuring happiness in all the wrong ways. How can we find true quality of life?
Bankers, Bookies, and Gamblers
by David Kortenposted Aug 30, 2010
- What is the proper role and social function of a bank? The answer starts with getting the question right.
The Work-Sharing Boom: Exit Ramp to a New Economy?
by Juliet Schorposted Aug 09, 2010
- To cope with the recession, some companies are cutting hours instead of employees. Will the trend have long-term effects?
10 Common Sense Principles for a New Economy
by David Kortenposted Aug 06, 2010
- It’s time we the people declare our independence from the money-favoring Wall Street economy.
A Different Kind of Ownership Society
by Marjorie Kelly, Shanna Ratnerposted Aug 03, 2010
- Innovative strategies for cooperative local ownership make it possible for prosperity to be shared as well as sustainable.
Bailouts Redefined: Interview with David Korten
by Sarah van Gelderposted Jun 28, 2010
- David Korten, author of Agenda for a New Economy and an attendee of the US Social Forum, on how a new economy can bail out both people and nature.
A Call for a Democratic Economy
by Zach Carterposted Jun 25, 2010
- Raj Patel offers a stunning defense of democracy and a how-to guide for social justice activists of the next century.
Lighting the Way to a New Economy
by David Kortenposted May 31, 2010
- All across the United States and Canada people are rebuilding their local economies to restore community and regain control of their economic lives. How do these local efforts add up to global economic transformation? I delivered this keynote address to the Business Alliance for Local Living Economies (BALLE) in Charleston, NC on May 22, 2010 on the theme "Lighting the Way to a New Economy."
Alaska Native Wisdom for Modern Times
by Llarion Merculieffposted May 27, 2010
- The Roman Empire lasted for 500 years; southwest Alaska’s Aleuts for 9,000. As the economy crumbles, what can Alaska Natives teach us about sustainable economics?
The State of the Earth, 2010
by Rebecca Solnitposted Apr 22, 2010
- We're in a very bad way. But we also know the solution would make most of us richer—even if not in the ways we are presently accustomed to counting as wealth.
Maryland Launches Genuine Progress Indicator
by Scott Gastposted Apr 02, 2010
- By changing what they measure, Marylanders can see for themselves whether chasing the benefits of continued economic growth is worth the costs.
Economic Recovery, Hawaiian Style
by Lurline Wailana McGregorposted Mar 29, 2010
- What indigenous economies can teach us about abundance.
Why Everyone Suffers in Unequal Societies
by Brooke Jarvisposted Mar 04, 2010
- An interview with epidemiologist Richard Wilkinson, whose research shows that what the healthiest and happiest societies have in common is not that they have more, but that what they have is more equitably shared.
Why is Costa Rica Smiling?
by Lisa Gale Garriguesposted Dec 15, 2009
- How a focus on peace is helping this Central American country top the Happy Planet Index.