Measuring Real Wealth
There's more to life than GDP.
Looking Backward: Economics and the Cult of Yesterday
by Jonathan Roweposted Dec 01, 2009
- GDP and productivity don't measure what's really going on in the economy—or in people's lives. Jonathan Rowe on measuring what matters.
posted Nov 11, 2009
- Susan Hardman photographs Costa Rica, which topped the 2009 Happy Planet Index. The Index takes into consideration factors such as a country's ecological footprint and life expectancies.
Path to a Peace Economy
by David Kortenposted Oct 27, 2009
- A persistent pattern of violence against people, community, and nature is inherent in the institutional structure of our existing economy. We can’t resolve our current economic crisis with marginal regulatory adjustments. It is time to rethink and restructure.
The Economics of Happiness
by Saamah Abdallahposted Sep 21, 2009
- In France, a ground-breaking commission of leading economists suggests that nations look beyond GDP.
Just the Facts :: How the Middle Class Got Stuck
by Noah Grant, Layla Aslani, Doug Pibelposted Jul 29, 2008
- Surging prices, stagnant wages, spiralling debt. This is what stuck feels like.
Living Wealth: Better Than Money
by David Kortenposted Jul 29, 2007
- If there is to be a human future, we must bring ourselves into balanced relationship with one another and the Earth. This requires building economies with heart.
Economics of Life in Balance
by Regina Gregoryposted Nov 20, 2006
- What an economy that worked for Pacific Islanders for thousands of years may have to teach us about how to live today.
The Great Turning as Compass and Lens
by Joanna Macyposted May 10, 2006
- The Great Turning invites us to lift our eyes from the cramped closet of short-term thinking and see the larger historical landscape.
Bhutan's Secret for Happiness
by Pamela Changposted Feb 19, 2006
- Gross National Happiness is the country's priority.
What Can Congregations Do?
by Richard Langposted Nov 07, 2005
- Three steps for congregations towards creating new economic practices of sharing
The Prophets Versus Empire
by Richard Langposted Oct 31, 2005
- Is it time for Americans to build a culture that rejects empire and adopts the principles of the Jubilee?
Money Versus Wealth
by David Kortenposted Jun 30, 1997
- David Korten distinguishes between money and the real wealth of people, nature, and community