Finance to Serve the Economy
by Leslie ChristianSep 26, 2008
- How urgent is the financial situation? A Wall Street veteran says problems in finance don't mean the end of the economy.
Main Street Before Wall Street
by David KortenSep 24, 2008
- Whose Bailout? Main Street is the world of local businesses and working people engaged in producing and exchanging real goods and services—a world of real wealth. Wall Street as it now exists is a world of pure money in which the sole game is to use money to make money for people who have money
Excerpt :: The Green Collar Economy
by Van JonesSep 22, 2008
- Excerpt from book by Van Jones, The Green Collar Economy: How One Solution Can Fix Our Two Biggest Problems
WTO Photo Quiz
by Kevin SharpJul 30, 2008
- Photographer Kevin Sharp paired his photos of the 1999 event with stills from the new film. You might be surprised by what's real and what's not
Community Land Trust Keeps Prices Affordable—For Now And Forever
by Daniel FiresideJul 29, 2008
- Community Housing Trusts buy land and houses, not for profit, but to keep them affordable for low- and middle-income residents. Daniel Fireside looks at the success of Vermont's 25-year-old Champlain Housing Trust, which provides homes for 2,100 households.
Create Your Own Workplace
by Layla AslaniJul 29, 2008
- Cooperative businesses allow employee-owners to receive all the benefits of their work—and their jobs can't get out-sourced or downsized. Layla Aslani shows how low-income women are starting cooperative businesses, becoming their own bosses, and creating lasting prosperity for themselves and their families.
Fairness for Working Parents
by Nanette FondasJul 29, 2008
- Living wages mean working parents can support their kids. Time off means they can raise them. Author and mother Nanette Fondas lays out what truly family friendly policies would look like.
Just the Facts :: How the Middle Class Got Stuck
by Noah Grant, Layla Aslani, Doug PibelJul 29, 2008
- Surging prices, stagnant wages, spiralling debt. This is what stuck feels like.
Jul 23, 2008
- A Documentary by United Food and Commercial Workers about the raids in Swift Meatpacking plants.
The Battle in Seattle
Jul 18, 2008
- Watch the trailer to Stuart Townsend's account of the WTO protests in Seattle in 1999.
Reinventing Our Food System
by Raj PatelJun 30, 2008
- Raj Patel, author of Stuffed and Starved, speaks to Amy Goodman of Democracy Now about the food crisis.
Focus on Fair Trade
by Jing FongJun 30, 2008
- These three TransFair USA curricula are designed to help students understand the concept of fair trade and to highlight its values and significance to farmers and communities. Using familiar imported foods—chocolate, bananas and coffee—as the focus, your students will gain an appreciation for the hard work of the farmer and will feel empowered knowing their consumer choices have real impact on real people.
Bonnie Raitt & Dolores Huerta
by Bonnie Raitt, Dolores HuertaJun 23, 2008
- Bonnie Raitt and Dolores Huerta dicsuss Union Organizing, NAFTA, Human Rights, Environmentalism, Nuclear Energy, Feminism
Carl Pope & Van Jones
by Van Jones, Carl PopeJun 09, 2008
- Carl Pope and Van Jones discuss Environmentalism, New Media, Civil Rights, the Economy
What to Do with Your Money During Tough Times
by Michael KramerJun 04, 2008
- First rule: Don’'t panic. How to weather an economic storm and help make the transition to a less crisis-prone future.