Signs of Life :: Winter 2011
Nov 18, 2010
- Small stories about big change.
Building Community: An Economic Approach
by David Korten with David BrancaccioNov 17, 2010
- David Korten: What economic transformation has to do with building stronger, happier communities.
The Road to Right-Size Cities
by Frank and Deborah PopperNov 16, 2010
- The American fable of all-but-permanent urban and economic growth is over. How cities can prepare for a smaller, but not necessarily worse, future.
Boat-to-Table Fishing CSAs Catching On
by Ellen Tyler, Daniel FiresideNov 14, 2010
- Do you know who your fisherman is?
7 Ways to Transform Banking
by Fran KortenNov 11, 2010
- Each of us can help build a resilient financial system that will serve real people in real communities.
Missing: A Vision of Economic Possibility
by David KortenNov 03, 2010
- This election showed us that neither of our two major parties has a credible vision for our economic future. And that’s why this is a moment of opportunity.
Will the Real Voice of Small Business Please Stand Up?
by Stacy MitchellNov 02, 2010
- Small businesses and local chambers are distancing themselves from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s politics.
Trick-or-Treat, In Reverse
by Christa HillstromOct 29, 2010
- This Halloween, a new breed of activists is coming to your door: They’re costumed, committed, and about four and a half feet tall.
Time for a New Theory of Money
by Ellen BrownOct 28, 2010
- When we recognize that money is simply credit, we can unleash it as a powerful tool for our communities.
by Rick WolffOct 26, 2010
- In France, the government’s response to the economic crisis has sparked massive protests. What do they mean for the U.S.?
Slavery Goes Public
by Christa HillstromOct 21, 2010
- Are the products you buy tainted by slavery and child labor? A new California law can help you find out.
A Day in the Life of a BerkShare
by Bill McKibbenOct 18, 2010
- Want to encourage the local economy? Try printing your own regional money.
Foreclosuregate: Time to Break Up the Too-Big-to-Fail Banks?
by Ellen BrownOct 15, 2010
- If risky behavior by big finance threatens economic stability, the financial reform bill allows regulators to break up big banks.
The Small Business Case for Ending Tax Cuts for the Wealthy
by Chuck CollinsOct 14, 2010
- Small business owners, often used as a prop by anti-tax lobbyists, say letting the Bush-era tax cuts expire is a good business decision.
Making Sense of the Foreclosure Mess
by Doug PibelOct 13, 2010
- Why are mortgage holders suspending foreclosures? And what will happen to homeowners?