Update :: Enlightened Banking
by Brooke JarvisFeb 03, 2008
- We are cheking on our favorite stories. Has the promise of the initiatives we covered in past issues turned into reality? Discover where ShoreTrust Bank is today.
Bring Fair Trade into Your Classroom
by Jing FongFeb 01, 2008
- How students can tell big companies like World's Finest Chocolate that they demand an end to abusive child labor practices, and that they want to buy products that are Fair Trade Certified.
Unions, Churches, & Schools
by Doug PibelFeb 01, 2008
- Two new groups in the state of Washington are melding an awareness of the urgency of climate change with the organizing tools of the Industrial Areas Foundation to produce jobs that employ young people and can’t be moved overseas.
Green Jobs for All
by Ian KimFeb 01, 2008
- The Green Jobs Act of 2007 addresses both the climate crisis and the poverty crisis by investing in green-collar job trainng.
China Goes Climate Cool
by Anna FaheyJan 29, 2008
- Last summer, Chinese President Hu Jintao toured the country in short sleeves to show that people could turn their air conditioners down. Despite much bad press, in China conservation is "in."
Interview with Maude Barlow
by Maude BarlowJan 15, 2008
- Maude Barlow, chair of Council of Canadians, and international campaigner on water and climate change, talks about successes with major international campaigns on trade and water, and how climate change will affect and be affected by these issues. She draws lessons from those struggles for effective action on the climate crisis.
Commentary: New Flow in the Global Plumbing
by Jonathan RoweNov 07, 2007
- There’s an effort underway to turn remittance payments from global workers into the foundation of a new grassroots development fund that bypasses the World Bank and IMF with their built-in agendas.
Building Autonomy, One Co-op at a Time
by Michael FoxNov 07, 2007
- Over 20,000 member families live in cooperatively owned housing in Uruguay. The co-ops are not just housing members, but also involving them in social politics, management and organization. And they are working to spread the concept across the Americas.
Live Free—Do It Yourself
by Sarah van Gelder, Doug PibelNov 07, 2007
- The consumer life carries invisible chains. Let's make spaces where we can be free. Step off the path. Free of debt, free of consumerism, moving into community and joy.
Kristin Halvorsen Stands Up For Ethical Business
Aug 29, 2007
- Kristin Halvorsen Stands Up For Ethical Business
Ward Morehouse Stands Up For Citizen
Aug 29, 2007
- Ward Morehouse Stands Up For Citizen Control
People We Love
Jul 29, 2007
- People We Love: Kelydra Weckler, Reverend Todd Eklof, Lauren Jacobs, Corbin Harney
Corporations Resource Guide
by Catherine BaileyJul 29, 2007
- How To Take On Corporations: Organizations, Grassroots Action and Films
7 Cool Companies
by Gar Alperovitz, Steve Dubb, Ted HowardJul 29, 2007
- 7 of the best current models for changing who owns, controls and benefits from business. Profits can flow to workers, consumers or the community - not just outside investors. And these businesses succeed.
Living Wealth: Better Than Money
by David KortenJul 29, 2007
- If there is to be a human future, we must bring ourselves into balanced relationship with one another and the Earth. This requires building economies with heart.