Slow Money: Bringing Money Down to Earth
by Brooke JarvisNov 16, 2009
- Is there such a thing as money that's too fast? Slow Money founder Woody Tasch says yes, and he's trying to slow money down by connecting investors to their local economies.
Poverty, Global Trade Justice, and the Roots of Terrorism
by John PerkinsNov 13, 2009
- To combat terrorism, we should address the root causes of poverty, says former "economic hit man" John Perkins.
Nov 11, 2009
- NextStep Recycling saves computers from landfills--providing employment, education outreach and technology access to low-income residents in the process.
Nov 11, 2009
- Susan Hardman photographs Costa Rica, which topped the 2009 Happy Planet Index. The Index takes into consideration factors such as a country's ecological footprint and life expectancies.
FRESH :: Film Trailer
Nov 11, 2009
- Given the environmental and health consequences of industrial agriculture, what would it look like if we re-invented our food system?
Climate Hero Marcus Ryan
by Kate SheppardNov 10, 2009
- A former Obama campaigner helps neighbors find talented green workers to make their homes climate-friendly.
Clash on Investment
by Sarah AndersonNov 04, 2009
- Corporations are fighting for the right to sue over government actions—including health, environment, and other public interest regulations—that diminish the value of an investment.
The Evergreen Cooperatives
Oct 29, 2009
- The Evergreen Cooperatives see themselves as a new model of economic development.
The Victory of the Commons
by Jay WalljasperOct 27, 2009
- Nobel Prize-winning economist Elinor Ostrom proved that people can—and do—work together to manage commonly held resources without degrading them.
Path to a Peace Economy
by David KortenOct 27, 2009
- A persistent pattern of violence against people, community, and nature is inherent in the institutional structure of our existing economy. We can’t resolve our current economic crisis with marginal regulatory adjustments. It is time to rethink and restructure.
Clean Energy Works: Portland Project a Model for Green Stimulus
by Roger ValdezOct 26, 2009
- In Portland, Recovery Act funds are 'laying the foundation for long-term economic, environmental, and community health.'
Building Caring Economics: Beyond Capitalism and Socialism
by Riane EislerOct 15, 2009
- Rather than trying to just patch up a system that isn't working, let's use our economic crisis to work for a system that really meets human needs.
Building a Solidarity Economy
by Annie McShirasOct 15, 2009
- How can one small childcare cooperative help create an economy founded on teamwork, social justice, and democracy?
Reviving the Local Economy with Publicly Owned Banks
by Ellen BrownOct 14, 2009
- The Fed may have played all its cards, but state and local governments still hold a few aces: publicly owned banks that could funnel credit where it is needed most, directly into the local economy.
Companies Abandon Chamber of Commerce Over Climate Change Stance
by Susie ShuttsOct 08, 2009
- The U.S. Chamber of Commerce's opposition to addressing climate change is making it very unpopular, even in corporate America.