The Bright Side of the Money Crisis
May 06, 2013
- Is this “the most exciting time to be alive in human history”? The economists and scientists interviewed in this film think so, and the reasons are all about the chance to create a more fair and sustainable global economy.
Not Your Father’s Union Movement: NYC’s Young Workers Committee
May 03, 2013
- The Young Workers Committee of New York’s transit union was out on the streets in a vibrant march. This video shows the group rallying, taking over an official’s office, and using the Occupy-style “people’s mic.”
From Housing to Health Care, 7 Co-ops That Are Changing Our Economy
by Claudia RoweApr 23, 2013
- How manufacturers, retailers, restaurants, and others are doing business the cooperative way.
Offshore Tax Havens Democratized on “Art Hack” Website
by YES! online staffApr 15, 2013
- Today is April 15, and that means that taxes are due ... at least for most of us. Artist and hacker Paolo Cirio tracked down authors and activists who study tax havens and asked them about the details.
"10 Reasons Why Co-ops Rock" Poster
by Jing FongApr 15, 2013
- Toolbox for Education and Social Change has a great classroom tool on cooperatives. You can buy its "10 Reasons Why Co-ops Rock" poster at pay-what-you-want prices. Available in Spanish, too.
Labor Dept. Deputy: It’s Time to Raise the Minimum Wage
by Amy B. DeanApr 11, 2013
- Before joining the Department of Labor, Mary Beth Maxwell was a top organizer for the workers’ rights organization Jobs With Justice. Here, she speaks with Amy Dean about the lives of workers who make minimum wage and why the time has come to raise it.
Occupy Sandy Funds Growth of Worker-Owned Co-Ops
by Peter RughApr 05, 2013
- Could the seaside neighborhoods struck by Hurricane Sandy be the next big incubator for worker-owned companies?
Empowered by the Past: Red State Co-ops Go Green
by Brooke JarvisApr 03, 2013
- A century ago, cooperatives electrified the poorest counties in the nation. Today, can they lead the way to a smarter, cleaner grid?
To Build a Community Economy, Start With Solidarity
by Abby ScherApr 03, 2013
- How residents who can’t afford to buy in still get the benefits of co-op work and housing.
Arab Spring Breakers: 50,000 Gather in Tunisia to Plan People-Powered Economy
by Signe PredmoreApr 01, 2013
- Tens of thousands of people from around the world gathered in Tunisia last week to talk about creating a fairer world. Here are some of the hottest topics from the panels in Tunis.
Don’t Like Your Health Insurance? Make Your Own
by Nina RogozenMar 20, 2013
- The Affordable Care Act hopes to drive expansion of health care co-ops.
6 Ways to Fuel the Cooperative Takeover
by Sven EberleinMar 20, 2013
- From now on, the global mantra for filling market gaps is going to be, “There’s a co-op for that.” But co-ops need customers, money, and training. How do we shift from business as usual to the work of cooperation?
Credit Unions Put Your Money to Work—Right Where You Live
by Colleen KimmetMar 20, 2013
- What if your bank’s first priority was to do good? Vancouver’s Vancity leads the way in putting dollars back into the community.
Don’t Laugh: The UN’s First International Happiness Day is Serious Business
by Frances Moore LappeMar 20, 2013
- Frances Moore Lappé on how countries and cities around the world, from Bhutan to Boston, are measuring well-being beyond GDP.
New Film Calls Worker-Owned Cooperatives “Next American Revolution”
by Kristin HugoMar 15, 2013
- Gar Alperovitz’s film points to worker-owned cooperatives as a growing alternative to traditional capitalism and socialism.