A fair economy that works for people and the planet.
posted Nov 11, 2009
- Susan Hardman photographs Costa Rica, which topped the 2009 Happy Planet Index. The Index takes into consideration factors such as a country's ecological footprint and life expectancies.
FRESH :: Film Trailer
posted Nov 11, 2009
- Given the environmental and health consequences of industrial agriculture, what would it look like if we re-invented our food system?
Climate Hero Marcus Ryan
by Kate Sheppardposted Nov 10, 2009
- A former Obama campaigner helps neighbors find talented green workers to make their homes climate-friendly.
Clash on Investment
by Sarah Andersonposted Nov 04, 2009
- Corporations are fighting for the right to sue over government actions—including health, environment, and other public interest regulations—that diminish the value of an investment.
The Evergreen Cooperatives
posted Oct 29, 2009
- The Evergreen Cooperatives see themselves as a new model of economic development.
The Victory of the Commons
by Jay Walljasperposted Oct 27, 2009
- Nobel Prize-winning economist Elinor Ostrom proved that people can—and do—work together to manage commonly held resources without degrading them.
Path to a Peace Economy
by David Kortenposted Oct 27, 2009
- A persistent pattern of violence against people, community, and nature is inherent in the institutional structure of our existing economy. We can’t resolve our current economic crisis with marginal regulatory adjustments. It is time to rethink and restructure.
Clean Energy Works: Portland Project a Model for Green Stimulus
by Roger Valdezposted Oct 26, 2009
- In Portland, Recovery Act funds are 'laying the foundation for long-term economic, environmental, and community health.'
Building Caring Economics: Beyond Capitalism and Socialism
by Riane Eislerposted Oct 15, 2009
- Rather than trying to just patch up a system that isn't working, let's use our economic crisis to work for a system that really meets human needs.
Building a Solidarity Economy
by Annie McShirasposted Oct 15, 2009
- How can one small childcare cooperative help create an economy founded on teamwork, social justice, and democracy?
Reviving the Local Economy with Publicly Owned Banks
by Ellen Brownposted Oct 14, 2009
- The Fed may have played all its cards, but state and local governments still hold a few aces: publicly owned banks that could funnel credit where it is needed most, directly into the local economy.
Companies Abandon Chamber of Commerce Over Climate Change Stance
by Susie Shuttsposted Oct 08, 2009
- The U.S. Chamber of Commerce's opposition to addressing climate change is making it very unpopular, even in corporate America.
5 Benefits of Common Security Clubs
by Chuck Collinsposted Oct 08, 2009
- What can local clubs do about a global financial meltdown? A lot, it turns out.
The Virtues of Deglobalization
by Walden Belloposted Sep 25, 2009
- What do we do now that neoliberal globalization has failed? Walden Bello outlines 11 pillars of a deglobalized economy.
The Economics of Happiness
by Saamah Abdallahposted Sep 21, 2009
- In France, a ground-breaking commission of leading economists suggests that nations look beyond GDP.