The Evergreen Cooperatives
Oct 29, 2009
- The Evergreen Cooperatives see themselves as a new model of economic development.
The Victory of the Commons
by Jay WalljasperOct 27, 2009
- Nobel Prize-winning economist Elinor Ostrom proved that people can—and do—work together to manage commonly held resources without degrading them.
Path to a Peace Economy
by David KortenOct 27, 2009
- A persistent pattern of violence against people, community, and nature is inherent in the institutional structure of our existing economy. We can’t resolve our current economic crisis with marginal regulatory adjustments. It is time to rethink and restructure.
Clean Energy Works: Portland Project a Model for Green Stimulus
by Roger ValdezOct 26, 2009
- In Portland, Recovery Act funds are 'laying the foundation for long-term economic, environmental, and community health.'
Building Caring Economics: Beyond Capitalism and Socialism
by Riane EislerOct 15, 2009
- Rather than trying to just patch up a system that isn't working, let's use our economic crisis to work for a system that really meets human needs.
Building a Solidarity Economy
by Annie McShirasOct 15, 2009
- How can one small childcare cooperative help create an economy founded on teamwork, social justice, and democracy?
Reviving the Local Economy with Publicly Owned Banks
by Ellen BrownOct 14, 2009
- The Fed may have played all its cards, but state and local governments still hold a few aces: publicly owned banks that could funnel credit where it is needed most, directly into the local economy.
Companies Abandon Chamber of Commerce Over Climate Change Stance
by Susie ShuttsOct 08, 2009
- The U.S. Chamber of Commerce's opposition to addressing climate change is making it very unpopular, even in corporate America.
5 Benefits of Common Security Clubs
by Chuck CollinsOct 08, 2009
- What can local clubs do about a global financial meltdown? A lot, it turns out.
The Virtues of Deglobalization
by Walden BelloSep 25, 2009
- What do we do now that neoliberal globalization has failed? Walden Bello outlines 11 pillars of a deglobalized economy.
The Economics of Happiness
by Saamah AbdallahSep 21, 2009
- In France, a ground-breaking commission of leading economists suggests that nations look beyond GDP.
Green the Block :: Beauty from the Ashes
by Phaedra Ellis-Lamkins and Rev. Lennox YearwoodSep 17, 2009
- To honor the victims of September 11, 2001, urban communities involved in the green jobs movement spent the anniversary of the attacks building stronger communities through service.
Protecting Local Farms
by Lynn ByczynskiSep 17, 2009
- Small-scale farmers fear that new regulations meant for industrial agriculture will burden them unfairly.
Trade Your Job
by Valerie SaturenSep 09, 2009
- The old apprenticeship model of learning by doing gets new life as people who’ve been left out of the job market train to meet the growing demand for green-collar workers.
Can a Farm State Feed Itself?
by Brooke JarvisSep 04, 2009
- Tired of depending on imports, Illinois looks to local food.