Reviving the Local Economy with Publicly Owned Banks
by Ellen BrownOct 14, 2009
- The Fed may have played all its cards, but state and local governments still hold a few aces: publicly owned banks that could funnel credit where it is needed most, directly into the local economy.
Companies Abandon Chamber of Commerce Over Climate Change Stance
by Susie ShuttsOct 08, 2009
- The U.S. Chamber of Commerce's opposition to addressing climate change is making it very unpopular, even in corporate America.
5 Benefits of Common Security Clubs
by Chuck CollinsOct 08, 2009
- What can local clubs do about a global financial meltdown? A lot, it turns out.
The Virtues of Deglobalization
by Walden BelloSep 25, 2009
- What do we do now that neoliberal globalization has failed? Walden Bello outlines 11 pillars of a deglobalized economy.
The Economics of Happiness
by Saamah AbdallahSep 21, 2009
- In France, a ground-breaking commission of leading economists suggests that nations look beyond GDP.
Green the Block :: Beauty from the Ashes
by Phaedra Ellis-Lamkins and Rev. Lennox YearwoodSep 17, 2009
- To honor the victims of September 11, 2001, urban communities involved in the green jobs movement spent the anniversary of the attacks building stronger communities through service.
Protecting Local Farms
by Lynn ByczynskiSep 17, 2009
- Small-scale farmers fear that new regulations meant for industrial agriculture will burden them unfairly.
Trade Your Job
by Valerie SaturenSep 09, 2009
- The old apprenticeship model of learning by doing gets new life as people who’ve been left out of the job market train to meet the growing demand for green-collar workers.
Can a Farm State Feed Itself?
by Brooke JarvisSep 04, 2009
- Tired of depending on imports, Illinois looks to local food.
No Vacation Nation
by John de GraafSep 04, 2009
- Along with paid vacation, we're missing out on happiness, better health, and a more sustainable society.
Signs of Life :: Sit-In Keeps Factory Open
by Laura KaliebeAug 28, 2009
- Workers at the Des Plaines, Illinois, Hartmarx factory voted to stage a sit-in this June against banking giant Wells Fargo.
Taxing Wealth for the Common Good
by Chuck CollinsAug 05, 2009
- Why some high-income Americans are asking to pay more taxes.
Navajo Nation Council Votes For Green Jobs
Jul 31, 2009
- The first green jobs bill from America's First Nations promises much needed, culturally appropriate jobs.
How California Could Turn its IOUs Into Dollars
by Ellen BrownJul 28, 2009
- If California were to deposit its money in its own state-owned bank, it could have enough credit to solve its budget crisis with funds to spare.
Mali's Gift Economy
by Beverly BellJul 22, 2009
- In Mali, one of the most cash poor nations in the world, "dama" or the gift economy is thriving.