A fair economy that works for people and the planet.
The Year of Global Protest - "We withdraw our
by Walden Belloposted Mar 31, 2001
- The Year of Global Protest: "We withdraw our consent!" by Walden Bello. Reviews anti-globalization protests and activism following the Seattle WTO demonstrations and considers the process of deligitimization of the institutions of global capitalism.
One Meal, One Vote
by Donella Meadowsposted Oct 27, 2000
- One meal, one vote, by Donella Meadows. Consumers have the power to end factory farming and the dangers it poses to humans and animals.
India's Silent But Singing Revolution
by Pramila Jayapulposted Oct 27, 2000
- India's silent but singing revolution, by Pramila Jayapul. Swadyaya social movement in India is based on belief that God resides within, all people and nature are connected, and a person's responsibility is only to do one's duty to the best of one's capability for God and without attachment to the fruits of the labor.
Garden of Simplicity
by Duane Elginposted Oct 27, 2000
- garden of simplicity, by Duane Elgin. Simplicity is the new mantra for the overworked, over-stressed, and over-cluttered, and for those who want to lighten their impact on the Earth. The author of the classic book on voluntary simplicity says the ways to simplicity are many.
The New Solidarity
by Anthony S. Archposted Oct 27, 2000
- the new solidarity, by Anthony S. Arch. Steelworkers and forest activists forge a new alliance.
by Susan Callanposted Sep 30, 2000
- Eco-design resources for making a green workplace.
Wild Rice Moon
by Winona LaDukeposted Jun 30, 2000
- The ancient, wild rice-centered culture of Minnesota's Anishinaabeg people confronts cultivated "wild" rice.
This Is What Democracy Looked Like
by Amber Gallupposted Jun 30, 2000
- Amber Gallup reports from the IMF/World Bank protests in Washington, DC.
Farms of the Future
by Senator Byron Dorganposted Jun 30, 2000
- Contrary to myths about the efficiency of corporate agriculture, family farmers are the most efficient producers - and they produce much more than food
by Brian DeVoreposted Jun 30, 2000
- combining some old-fashioned animal husbandry with new, low-tech facility design and sophisticated ideas about the relationships between livestock and the land.
November 30 WTO Showdown
by Paul Hawkenposted Mar 31, 2000
- The most dramatic confrontations took place on November 30 (N30), when thousands of protesters blocked WTO delegates from reaching the meeting. Author Paul Hawken was among them.
From the Trenches: Opening Day of the WTO Ministerial Meeting
by Tracy Rysavyposted Nov 30, 1999
- WTO On-Site Report, November 30, 1999 by Tracy Rysavy.
WTO Is Anti-Democratic, Anti-People, and Anti-Environment
by David C. Kortenposted Nov 30, 1999
- Guest editorial on the Seattle WTO Protests, aired on KPLU, Tacoma, WA November 1999
Networking the Night Away: on the eve of the WTO
by Fran Kortenposted Nov 30, 1999
- The Positive Futures Network's Reception on Sunday, November 28, on the eve of the World Trade Organization's meeting in Seattle.
WTO in Seattle: The Millennium Round or Turnaround?
by Sarah Ruth van Gelderposted Nov 30, 1999
- The following is part of our series of commentaries on the events unfolding in Seattle at the time of the World Trade Organization's meeting.