Using our resources to strengthen our communities.
Whose Bank? Public Investment, Not Private Debt
by Ellen Brownposted Feb 19, 2010
- The public bank concept is gaining ground on the state level, attracting proponents across the political spectrum.
Time to Tax Financial Speculation
by Sarah Andersonposted Feb 09, 2010
- Activists, celebrities, and business leaders are uniting behind a proposal that would discourage speculative gambling.
Move Your Money
posted Jan 13, 2010
- Move Your Money is a growing national movement to switch money out of big, national banks and into local, community banks. A video paralleling "It's a Wonderful Life" promotes the campaign.
Big News for Small Forests
by Ian Hannaposted Jan 07, 2010
- Sustainable, small-scale working forests are feeling the economic pinch. But nonprofit groups are helping family- and community-owned woodlands thrive by connecting them with carbon markets.
Slow Money: Bringing Money Down to Earth
by Brooke Jarvisposted Nov 16, 2009
- Is there such a thing as money that's too fast? Slow Money founder Woody Tasch says yes, and he's trying to slow money down by connecting investors to their local economies.
Reviving the Local Economy with Publicly Owned Banks
by Ellen Brownposted Oct 14, 2009
- The Fed may have played all its cards, but state and local governments still hold a few aces: publicly owned banks that could funnel credit where it is needed most, directly into the local economy.
How California Could Turn its IOUs Into Dollars
by Ellen Brownposted Jul 28, 2009
- If California were to deposit its money in its own state-owned bank, it could have enough credit to solve its budget crisis with funds to spare.
New Economy, New Ways to Do Finance
posted Jul 07, 2009
- As mega-finance crumbles, many farsighted individuals are putting their money in enterprises and financial institutions that benefit working Americans and the places they live.
How Banks Make Money
by Doug Pibelposted Jul 07, 2009
- Creating money out of thin air, a YES! infographic.
Money from Nothing
by James Robertsonposted Jul 07, 2009
- Supplying money should be a public service, not a cash cow for banks.
The New Economy Starts Now
by Sarah van Gelderposted Jul 07, 2009
- The new economy is about increasing quality of life, improving health, and restoring the environment.
3 Ways to Invest in Your Community
by Jeff Goldenposted Jul 07, 2009
- Jeff Golden suggests ways you can revive the old classic: community investment.
Out of the Ashes of GM: the Phoenix of Renewable Energy
by Ellen Brownposted Jun 10, 2009
- Out of the ashes of a failed GM could arise not only a new, clean way of traveling but a new way of funding government and the services we expect from it.
My Best Investments Are Down The Street
by Judy Wicksposted Jun 05, 2009
- Social activist and local living economies advocate Judy Wicks shares her investment secrets.
Small Banks, Radical Vision
by Zach Carterposted Jun 05, 2009
- Local banks can change the world, one investment at a time.