Financial Transactions Tax: A Little Tax on the Big Casino
by Tanya DawkinsMar 09, 2010
- The Center for Economic and Policy Research estimates that an FTT of only one-half of one percent would generate at least $60 billion to $100 billion dollars in the United States alone.
Whose Bank? Public Investment, Not Private Debt
by Ellen BrownFeb 19, 2010
- The public bank concept is gaining ground on the state level, attracting proponents across the political spectrum.
Time to Tax Financial Speculation
by Sarah AndersonFeb 09, 2010
- Activists, celebrities, and business leaders are uniting behind a proposal that would discourage speculative gambling.
Move Your Money
Jan 13, 2010
- Move Your Money is a growing national movement to switch money out of big, national banks and into local, community banks. A video paralleling "It's a Wonderful Life" promotes the campaign.
Big News for Small Forests
by Ian HannaJan 07, 2010
- Sustainable, small-scale working forests are feeling the economic pinch. But nonprofit groups are helping family- and community-owned woodlands thrive by connecting them with carbon markets.
Slow Money: Bringing Money Down to Earth
by Brooke JarvisNov 16, 2009
- Is there such a thing as money that's too fast? Slow Money founder Woody Tasch says yes, and he's trying to slow money down by connecting investors to their local economies.
Reviving the Local Economy with Publicly Owned Banks
by Ellen BrownOct 14, 2009
- The Fed may have played all its cards, but state and local governments still hold a few aces: publicly owned banks that could funnel credit where it is needed most, directly into the local economy.
How California Could Turn its IOUs Into Dollars
by Ellen BrownJul 28, 2009
- If California were to deposit its money in its own state-owned bank, it could have enough credit to solve its budget crisis with funds to spare.
New Economy, New Ways to Do Finance
Jul 07, 2009
- As mega-finance crumbles, many farsighted individuals are putting their money in enterprises and financial institutions that benefit working Americans and the places they live.
How Banks Make Money
by Doug PibelJul 07, 2009
- Infographic: How to create money out of thin air.
Money from Nothing
by James RobertsonJul 07, 2009
- Supplying money should be a public service, not a cash cow for banks.
The New Economy Starts Now
by Sarah van GelderJul 07, 2009
- The new economy is about increasing quality of life, improving health, and restoring the environment.
3 Ways to Invest in Your Community
by Jeff GoldenJul 07, 2009
- Jeff Golden suggests ways you can revive the old classic: community investment.
Out of the Ashes of GM: the Phoenix of Renewable Energy
by Ellen BrownJun 10, 2009
- Out of the ashes of a failed GM could arise not only a new, clean way of traveling but a new way of funding government and the services we expect from it.
My Best Investments Are Down The Street
by Judy WicksJun 05, 2009
- Social activist and local living economies advocate Judy Wicks shares her investment secrets.