Using our resources to strengthen our communities.
How Wisconsin Could Turn Austerity into Prosperity: Own a Bank
by Ellen Brownposted Mar 05, 2011
- An answer to state budget woes that doesn't need to involve sacrificing workers' rights.
US Uncut: Standing Up to Corporate Tax Dodgers
posted Mar 03, 2011
- Photo essay: "Austerity for us, prosperity for them"—and more signs from US Uncut's 50-city protests of corporate tax avoidance.
The UK’s Progressive Tea Party
by Johann Hariposted Feb 08, 2011
- Imagine a parallel universe where the Great Crash of 2008 inspired ordinary people to take on corporate tax evaders. The name of this parallel universe is Britain.
Washington State Joins the Movement for Public Banking
by Ellen Brownposted Jan 24, 2011
- The legislature will consider whether to move its funds from Bank of America to a publicly owned bank that would keep the state's money working locally.
Microcredit: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
by David Kortenposted Jan 19, 2011
- Unraveling the confusion behind microcredit: how some models help alleviate poverty, while others exploit the poor to make the rich richer.
North Dakota: Banking on the Locals
posted Dec 31, 2010
- Video: David Brancaccio visits a bank that is invested in its community.
“Let Our Tax Cuts Go”
by Chuck Collinsposted Dec 08, 2010
- Why some wealthy Americans aren’t happy to see their tax cuts continued.
7 Ways to Transform Banking
by Fran Kortenposted Nov 11, 2010
- Each of us can help build a resilient financial system that will serve real people in real communities.
Time for a New Theory of Money
by Ellen Brownposted Oct 28, 2010
- When we recognize that money is simply credit, we can unleash it as a powerful tool for our communities.
The Small Business Case for Ending Tax Cuts for the Wealthy
by Chuck Collinsposted Oct 14, 2010
- Small business owners, often used as a prop by anti-tax lobbyists, say letting the Bush-era tax cuts expire is a good business decision.
Raise My Taxes, Please
by Naomi Sobelposted Sep 09, 2010
- Why one wealthy American wants the Bush tax cuts to expire and the estate tax to be reinstated.
10 Ways to Solve the Jobs Problem
by Fran Kortenposted Sep 02, 2010
- Imagine a no-holds-barred “summit” that comes up with ideas to solve both our job and environmental problems. What might it come up with?
Home-Grown Businesses: The Role of Grassroots Financing
by Stacy Mitchellposted Aug 26, 2010
- How businesses are turning to their neighbors for funding.
The Right to Housing in Haiti
by Colette Lespinasse with Beverly Bellposted Jul 29, 2010
- With housing still inadequate more than 6 months after the earthquake, Haiti is witnessing the seeds of a people's movement to demand the human right to housing.
Development Redefined: A Holistic Vision in Bangladesh
by Suzanna Finleyposted Jun 17, 2010
- Photo essay: Bangladeshi activists promote development that's rooted in indigenous knowledge and community values.