Using our resources to strengthen our communities.
7 Ways to Transform Banking
by Fran Kortenposted Nov 11, 2010
- Each of us can help build a resilient financial system that will serve real people in real communities.
Time for a New Theory of Money
by Ellen Brownposted Oct 28, 2010
- When we recognize that money is simply credit, we can unleash it as a powerful tool for our communities.
The Small Business Case for Ending Tax Cuts for the Wealthy
by Chuck Collinsposted Oct 14, 2010
- Small business owners, often used as a prop by anti-tax lobbyists, say letting the Bush-era tax cuts expire is a good business decision.
Raise My Taxes, Please
by Naomi Sobelposted Sep 09, 2010
- Why one wealthy American wants the Bush tax cuts to expire and the estate tax to be reinstated.
10 Ways to Solve the Jobs Problem
by Fran Kortenposted Sep 02, 2010
- Imagine a no-holds-barred “summit” that comes up with ideas to solve both our job and environmental problems. What might it come up with?
Home-Grown Businesses: The Role of Grassroots Financing
by Stacy Mitchellposted Aug 26, 2010
- How businesses are turning to their neighbors for funding.
The Right to Housing in Haiti
by Colette Lespinasse with Beverly Bellposted Jul 29, 2010
- With housing still inadequate more than 6 months after the earthquake, Haiti is witnessing the seeds of a people's movement to demand the human right to housing.
Development Redefined: A Holistic Vision in Bangladesh
by Suzanna Finleyposted Jun 17, 2010
- Photo essay: Bangladeshi activists promote development that's rooted in indigenous knowledge and community values.
Health Care Economics 101
by Ken Fabertposted Jun 02, 2010
- When it comes to health care, everyone can't have everything right away. But we can make smarter choices that don't leave anyone out in the cold.
Reining in Wall Street: Round 1
by Sarah Andersonposted May 26, 2010
- Congress is about to pass the first financial reform bill after the meltdown, which includes small positive steps. But there are two key pieces of unfinished business.
More States May Create Public Banks
by Ellen Brownposted May 13, 2010
- Several states are studying the prospects of a state-owned bank or are considering legislation to make one possible.
Jobs, Not Handouts
by David Kortenposted May 09, 2010
- David Korten: Wall Street's plunge shows what's wrong with phantom wealth. Why support that system when we could be creating jobs in the real economy?
A New Deal for Local Economies
by Stacy Mitchellposted Apr 29, 2010
- More local, durable economies are already taking root. We can help them along by changing the way we regulate businesses, plan cities, and finance the communities we want.
Fix the Economy, Not Wall Street
by David Kortenposted Apr 28, 2010
- Would-be Wall Street regulators aren't asking the right question: How do we create a financial services sector that directs money where it is actually needed?
Making Money Work: How Can We Reconnect Capital with Community?
by Stacy Mitchellposted Apr 23, 2010
- Our investments tend to fund consolidation and speculation. But new models are emerging that allow us to finance the economy we really want.