The Public Banking Revolution
From California to Washington, what state banks could mean for a new economy.
The Trillion Dollar Coin: A Debt Solution for the People
by Ellen Brownposted Jan 17, 2013
- Far from being a gimmick, having the U.S. Treasury mint high-denomination coins is a solution that cuts to the root of America’s financial problems. And Benjamin Franklin would have liked it, too.
How State Banks Bring the Money Home
by Stacy Mitchellposted Sep 23, 2011
- Big banks freeze out small business, but North Dakota’s state bank supports local jobs. The idea is catching on.
How to Liberate America
by David Kortenposted Jul 19, 2011
- How is it that our nation is awash in money, but too broke to provide jobs and services? David Korten introduces a landmark new report, “How to Liberate America from Wall Street Rule.”
How the Bailout Killed Local Lending—And How Some States Hope to Bring It Back
by Ellen Brownposted Jun 30, 2011
- With the big banks speculating instead of lending to small businesses, states are looking for new ways to keep credit flowing.
What a Public Bank Could Mean for California
by Ellen Brownposted May 16, 2011
- What the indebted state could gain from moving its money out of Wall Street.
A Choice for States: Banks, Not Budget Crises
by Ellen Brownposted Mar 25, 2011
- 7 ways state-owned banks could help states overcome budget deficits and boost their local economies.
How Wisconsin Could Turn Austerity into Prosperity: Own a Bank
by Ellen Brownposted Mar 05, 2011
- An answer to state budget woes that doesn't need to involve sacrificing workers' rights.
Washington State Joins the Movement for Public Banking
by Ellen Brownposted Jan 24, 2011
- The legislature will consider whether to move its funds from Bank of America to a publicly owned bank that would keep the state's money working locally.
North Dakota: Banking on the Locals
posted Dec 31, 2010
- Video: David Brancaccio visits a bank that is invested in its community.
7 Ways to Transform Banking
by Fran Kortenposted Nov 11, 2010
- Each of us can help build a resilient financial system that will serve real people in real communities.
More States May Create Public Banks
by Ellen Brownposted May 13, 2010
- Several states are studying the prospects of a state-owned bank or are considering legislation to make one possible.