Making a living, and a life.
People We Love: Mahlon Mitchell
by Robert Mellingerposted Jul 25, 2011
- A Wisconsin firefighter protests for collective bargaining.
The American Dream, Reloaded
posted Jul 20, 2011
- It's happening: The movement to rebuild the dream means owning our stories about how it went wrong—and finding our own ways to make it right.
Seattle Stands By Public Employees
by Richard Conlinposted Jul 14, 2011
- Not all governments are clashing with public employees. Seattle’s city council president on why the city passed a resolution in support of public employees and collective bargaining.
Recipes for Recovery
by James Tracyposted Jun 24, 2011
- Ex-cons show each other the way out at San Francisco's Delancey Street.
Farming Careers for Young Veterans
by Robert Mellingerposted Jun 15, 2011
- Soldiers returning to a bleak job market grow a new set of skills.
Ban the Box for a Fair Chance
by Aaron Tanakaposted Jun 08, 2011
- Breaking through "tough on crime" policies to give all Americans a chance at employment.
How Can We Solve the Jobs Crisis?
by Sarah van Gelderposted May 10, 2011
- Targeting workers, the unemployed, and public services won't do it. Help us find the solutions that will.
Where Does the Labor Movement Go From Here?
by Amy B. Deanposted Apr 06, 2011
- How the movement for workers' rights can harness the energy of the present moment.
The Moral Underground: How Ordinary Americans Subvert an Unfair Economy
by Lisa Dodsonposted Mar 18, 2011
- All around you are everyday heroes who refuse to be complicit in the economic mistreatment of other people.
Fighting America’s Corporate Coup D’Etat
by Amy Goodmanposted Mar 17, 2011
- Amy Goodman and Naomi Klein on how Americans across the country are resisting the Shock Doctrine.
Phantom Wealth and False Expectations
by David Kortenposted Mar 15, 2011
- Playing money games to profit from false expectations is not the same as investing in jobs that produce real value to meet real needs
Wisconsin Awakens a Sleeping Giant
by Sarah van Gelder, Brooke Jarvisposted Mar 15, 2011
- Workers across the country are demanding to know why corporations and the wealthy get bailouts and tax breaks while teachers and steel workers bear the burdens of budget crises.
“This is Not Democracy” — Wisconsin’s Anti-Union Bill Passes
by Brooke Jarvisposted Mar 10, 2011
- In a controversial move, Republicans maneuvered the passage of Wisconsin's assault on collective bargaining after three weeks of protests. How'd they do it, and what happens next?
Mahlon Mitchell: The Middle Class Needs to Stick Together
by Robby Mellingerposted Mar 08, 2011
- Firefighters weren't directly included in the anti-union bill that sparked the protests in Madison. Lieutenant Mahlon Mitchell on why they're taking to the streets, anyway.
Domestic Workers Win Bill of Rights
by Caitlin Battersbyposted Mar 08, 2011
- A long-excluded workforce finally gets the protections it deserves.