Making a living, and a life.
Jobs, Not Handouts
by David Kortenposted May 09, 2010
- David Korten: Wall Street's plunge shows what's wrong with phantom wealth. Why support that system when we could be creating jobs in the real economy?
Green-collar Jobs in Newark, New Jersey
posted Mar 09, 2010
- A weatherization program in Newark, New Jersey, is creating jobs and helping low-income residents save money.
United by Hard Times: Workers Organize Across Race Lines
by Carlos Jimenezposted Mar 04, 2010
- A tough economy makes cross-race organizing more important than ever.
Colors in New York: A Restaurant Cooperative
by Berit Andersonposted Mar 04, 2010
- Mamdouh founded the worker-owned Colors as a tribute to those who’d lost their lives in the World Trade Center.
Protecting Workers, Not Corporations
by Mark Englerposted Feb 25, 2010
- Amid the disappointments of Obama's first year in office is one bright spot: a Department of Labor that stands up for workers' rights.
A Green and Fair Recovery
by Yvonne Liuposted Feb 04, 2010
- If equity factors prominently into the equation, an expanded green economy has tremendous potential to positively transform our communities, sustain the environment, and lift the quality of all our lives. But this won’t happen by chance.
Dave Moore: Fighter for Civil Rights and Working People
posted Jan 27, 2010
- Video: A tribute to Dave Moore, an icon of the civil rights and labor movements, who passed away in the fall of 2009 at the age of 97.
Between Overworked and Out of Work
by Dean Bakerposted Jan 15, 2010
- Giving employers incentives to offer paid time off would boost employment, stimulate the economy, and help the U.S. move toward a healthier life-work balance.
Growing Home—Urban Agriculture in Chicago
posted Dec 29, 2009
- Orrin Williams of Growing Home explains urban agriculture's crucial role in rebuilding our cities and communities—from increasing job security and food access to decreasing the environmental impact of farming.
Crossroads in Copenhagen
by Phaedra Ellis-Lamkinsposted Dec 17, 2009
- Phaedra Ellis-Lamkins discusses the conflicting emotions that Copenhagen causes.
Seeds of a Movement for the Unemployed
by Jake Blumgartposted Dec 15, 2009
- Where do working Americans turn when they lose their jobs?
People We Love :: Lorraine Kerwood
by Keeley Hardingposted Dec 15, 2009
- Rebuilding computers for the community.
How the Seattle WTO Protests Changed the World
posted Dec 14, 2009
- Video: United Steelworkers remember the union role in taking on the WTO.
Recovery Act's Green Jobs: Weatherization in New York City
posted Dec 11, 2009
- 640,329 jobs have been created or saved by the Recovery Act. Green for All provides a glimpse into how the program affects the people who hold those jobs and the residents receiving weatherization services in New York City.
4 Quick Ways to Boost Employment
by Dean Bakerposted Dec 04, 2009
- Rights for renters, flexible work schedules, and other ways to create jobs.