Bellingham, Washington: Good Jobs, Locally Grown
Dec 09, 2010
- Video: How this close-knit community is keeping jobs close to home.
by Rick WolffOct 26, 2010
- In France, the government’s response to the economic crisis has sparked massive protests. What do they mean for the U.S.?
One Nation: Uniting for Jobs, Not War
by Phyllis BennisOct 06, 2010
- At the historic One Nation Working Together march, activists made the connection between unemployment and our outsize military budget.
Students Score Victory for Honduran Workers
by Valerie SchloredtSep 09, 2010
- How the "Just Pay It!" campaign on college campuses leveraged $1.5 million for Nike garment workers.
10 Ways to Solve the Jobs Problem
by Fran KortenSep 02, 2010
- Imagine a no-holds-barred “summit” that comes up with ideas to solve both our job and environmental problems. What might it come up with?
Sticking Together in Tough Times
by Chuck CollinsAug 10, 2010
- With more workers facing long-term joblessness, the unemployed are working together for change.
The Work-Sharing Boom: Exit Ramp to a New Economy?
by Juliet SchorAug 09, 2010
- To cope with the recession, some companies are cutting hours instead of employees. Will the trend have long-term effects?
The Case for a New WPA
by Kate McCormackJul 12, 2010
- Is it time to bring back this Depression-era program?
First Domestic Workers’ Bill of Rights Passes
by Elizabeth DiNovellaJun 28, 2010
- The successful campaign to pass the Domestic Workers Bill of Rights in New York is cause for celebration at 2010 US Social Forum.
Update: Post-Prison Garden Project Grows Earth Stewards
by Berit AndersonJun 25, 2010
- Ten years ago YES! Magazine reported on Cathrine Sneed and her Garden Project. Today there are 37 Earth Stewards and seven full-time Garden Project employees.
The Work Ahead
by Shannon HayesMay 24, 2010
- Growing renewed relationships with our food, homes, and communities requires getting our hands dirty.
Replacing Coal with Green Jobs in Navajo Nation
by Yvonne LiuMay 11, 2010
- Shutting down coal mines was a first step. Now Navajo activists are working for a new, green-jobs economy.
Jobs, Not Handouts
by David KortenMay 09, 2010
- David Korten: Wall Street's plunge shows what's wrong with phantom wealth. Why support that system when we could be creating jobs in the real economy?
Green-collar Jobs in Newark, New Jersey
Mar 09, 2010
- A weatherization program in Newark, New Jersey, is creating jobs and helping low-income residents save money.
United by Hard Times: Workers Organize Across Race Lines
by Carlos JimenezMar 04, 2010
- A tough economy makes cross-race organizing more important than ever.