Peace and Justice
Rehabilitation, Not Punishment: A Better Solution to Crime
Jun 29, 2011
- Video: Sarah van Gelder, co-founder and executive editor of YES! Magazine, discusses the innovative approach to crime used in Hawaii’s only women’s prison.
Can Prison Be a Healing Place?
by Sarah van GelderJun 14, 2011
- Why the warden of Hawaii's only women's prison creates a sanctuary for its residents.
Restorative Justice: A Practical Alternative to Prison
Jun 14, 2011
- Patrice Gaines: We can keep our streets safe without throwing people away.
Restoring Lives: Now That’s Justice
by Patrice GainesJun 08, 2011
- Forty years since prison, Patrice Gaines still fights to get free.
Ban the Box for a Fair Chance
by Aaron TanakaJun 08, 2011
- Breaking through "tough on crime" policies to give all Americans a chance at employment.
Think Outside the Bars
by Michelle AlexanderJun 08, 2011
- Why real justice means fewer prisons.
by Arthur LongworthJun 03, 2011
- A conversation through the walls of solitary confinement.
Instead of Prison
by Sarah van GelderJun 03, 2011
- 2.3 million people behind bars. How to stop wasting lives and money.
Drug Warrior No More
by Norm StamperJun 03, 2011
- Seattle's ex-police chief now fights to end the war on drugs.
The Night I Forgave My Daughter’s Killer
by Marietta Jaeger-Lane, as told to Lynsi BurtonMay 27, 2011
- How a grieving mother put compassion before vengeance, and found closure along the way.
Truth and Reconciliation in New York
by David KaczynskiMay 13, 2011
- Ex-offenders and families of victims ask, how can we resolve the tension between our need to protect society, and our desire to believe in human redemption?
Just the Facts: It's a Locking-People-Up Problem
by Robert Mellinger, Doug PibelMay 12, 2011
- The American problem with mass incarceration is less about crime than it is about how—and who—we lock up.
The Locked Gate: Standing Up for My Brother, Troy Davis, on Death Row
by Martina Davis-Correia, as told to Jen MarloweMay 10, 2011
- My brother and I don't always agree, but I defend his innocence, and I'll never walk out on him again.
Connecting Prisons With Nature
by Benjamin Drummond, Sara Joy SteeleMay 06, 2011
- Video: Can prisons save money and the environment while changing lives?
Life With Poetry, But No Parole
by Spoon JacksonMay 06, 2011
- Locked up for life, prisoner poet Spoon Jackson discovered life as a "melody that flowed like free verse."