Peace and Justice
Rapper 2 Chainz: Ex-Felons Can Get Their Voting Rights Back
Oct 31, 2012
- One the biggest voting myths is that those with felonies on their record have lost the right to vote forever. Here’s how you can get re-enfranchised.
Is an End to the Death Penalty in Sight?
by Laura MoyeSep 21, 2012
- What’s the good news about the troubling practice of execution in the U.S.? We’re already abolishing it, state by state.
In Prayer and Protest: The Fight for Troy Davis
by Scott LangleySep 21, 2012
- The story in photos: One year ago, the state of Georgia executed Troy Davis. See the remarkable photos from his final days, from the perspective of his family, friends, and supporters.
Standing with Troy Davis in His Final Days
by Jen MarloweSep 21, 2012
- A year ago today, the state of Georgia executed a man whose guilt was widely contested. Jen Marlowe, friend and journalist, on what it was like to stand with the Davis family on the last day.
Can Restorative Justice Stop the Schoolhouse-to-Jailhouse Pipeline?
by Jeremy Adam SmithApr 09, 2012
- What San Francisco schools are learning from their experiments with alternatives to punitive punishments.
Europe Bans Export of Death Penalty Drugs
by Jennifer KayeMar 13, 2012
- The EU makes a bold move towards the abolition of executions everywhere.
James Bell: Real Justice for Youth
by Lindsay KuceraFeb 01, 2012
- More than 70 percent of incarcerated kids are minorities. This advocate wanted to find out why.
Lessons of a Police Chief: Militarized Policing Is a Mistake
by Norm StamperNov 16, 2011
- From his experience overseeing Seattle’s infamous crackdown on WTO protesters years ago, Norm Stamper knows exactly what police should not do.
The Innocence Project and Prison Food
by Jing FongSep 22, 2011
- Use the Innocence Project’s interactive resources to understand the causes of wrongful convictions and exonerations, and see how your school's cafeteria food measures up to prison food with this tell-it-like-it is infographic.
Troy Davis' Last Request
by Sarah van GelderSep 22, 2011
- Troy Davis’ last words before his execution on Wednesday night included this call: The tragedy of American capital punishment must come to an end.
What You Can Do to Stop the Execution of Troy Davis
by Jen MarloweSep 09, 2011
- In two weeks, Georgia plans to execute a man whose guilt is in doubt, but there is still hope for clemency.
More Incarceration Is Not the Answer
by Ruth Wilson GilmoreAug 19, 2011
- In California, the headlines about prisons always seem to be the same: out-of-control costs, inhumane living conditions. But it doesn’t need to be that way.
Righting Wrongs the Maori Way
by Allan MacRae, Howard ZehrJul 08, 2011
- Instead of prison, New Zealand chooses restorative justice and community problem-solving.
School of Second Chances
by Carol EstesJul 01, 2011
- Inmates who get an education are less likely to reoffend when they're released. So why are prison education programs getting cut?
Rehabilitation, Not Punishment: A Better Solution to Crime
Jun 29, 2011
- Video: Sarah van Gelder, co-founder and executive editor of YES! Magazine, discusses the innovative approach to crime used in Hawaii’s only women’s prison.