Peace and Justice
James Bell: Real Justice for Youth
by Lindsay KuceraFeb 01, 2012
- More than 70 percent of incarcerated kids are minorities. This advocate wanted to find out why.
Lessons of a Police Chief: Militarization is a Mistake
by Norm StamperNov 16, 2011
- The police chief who oversaw Seattle’s crackdown on WTO protesters learned the dangers of militarization. His advice for a creating a police force that truly serves and protects communities.
The Innocence Project and Prison Food
by Jing FongSep 22, 2011
- Use the Innocence Project’s interactive resources to understand the causes of wrongful convictions and exonerations, and see how your school's cafeteria food measures up to prison food with this tell-it-like-it is infographic.
Troy Davis' Last Request
by Sarah van GelderSep 22, 2011
- Troy Davis’ last words before his execution on Wednesday night included this call: The tragedy of American capital punishment must come to an end.
What You Can Do to Stop the Execution of Troy Davis
by Jen MarloweSep 09, 2011
- In two weeks, Georgia plans to execute a man whose guilt is in doubt, but there is still hope for clemency.
More Incarceration Is Not the Answer
by Ruth Wilson GilmoreAug 19, 2011
- In California, the headlines about prisons always seem to be the same: out-of-control costs, inhumane living conditions. But it doesn’t need to be that way.
Righting Wrongs the Maori Way
by Allan MacRae, Howard ZehrJul 08, 2011
- Instead of prison, New Zealand chooses restorative justice and community problem-solving.
School of Second Chances
by Carol EstesJul 01, 2011
- Inmates who get an education are less likely to reoffend when they're released. So why are prison education programs getting cut?
Rehabilitation, Not Punishment: A Better Solution to Crime
Jun 29, 2011
- Video: Sarah van Gelder, co-founder and executive editor of YES! Magazine, discusses the innovative approach to crime used in Hawaii’s only women’s prison.
Can Prison Be a Healing Place?
by Sarah van GelderJun 14, 2011
- Why the warden of Hawaii's only women's prison creates a sanctuary for its residents.
Restorative Justice: A Practical Alternative to Prison
Jun 14, 2011
- Patrice Gaines: We can keep our streets safe without throwing people away.
Restoring Lives: Now That’s Justice
by Patrice GainesJun 08, 2011
- Forty years since prison, Patrice Gaines still fights to get free.
Ban the Box for a Fair Chance
by Aaron TanakaJun 08, 2011
- Breaking through "tough on crime" policies to give all Americans a chance at employment.
Think Outside the Bars
by Michelle AlexanderJun 08, 2011
- Why real justice means fewer prisons.
by Arthur LongworthJun 03, 2011
- A conversation through the walls of solitary confinement.