Peace and Justice
Guantanamo on the Mississippi
by Jordan FlahertyMar 24, 2006
- Prisoners incarcerated in New Orleans institutions during Katrina suffered even more than usual.
Freedom Project :: Inmates Find Peace
by Dee AxelrodFeb 15, 2006
- The Freedom Project teaches prisoners nonviolent communication techniques and helps them to transition into communities when released.
Book Review: Couldn't Keep It To Myself: Testimonies From Our Imprisoned Sisters
by Bill WilliamsMay 20, 2004
- COULDN'T KEEP IT TO MYSELF: Testimonies from our Imprisoned Sisters By Wally Lamb and the Women of York Correctional Institution. Book Review by Bill Williams.
Book Reviews: Now is it time to close the prisons?
by Carol EstesDec 31, 2003
- Now is it time to close the prisons? by Carol Estes - Book reviews of THE PERPETUAL PRISONER MACHINE: How America Profits from Crime By Joel Dyer - ARE PRISONS OBSOLETE? By Angela Y. Davis - PRISON NATION: The Warehousing of America's Poor Edited by Tara Herivel and Paul Wright - THE DEATH GAME: Capital Punishment and the Luck of the Draw - By Mike Gray
Danny Glover :: The Death Penalty in this Great Nation of Ours
by Danny GloverNov 05, 2001
- Speech given at Princeton considers the fallibility of our justice system and the finality of death.
Through My Enemy's Eyes
by Troy ChapmanNov 05, 2001
- A prisoners story of finding a third way, of finding meaning and truth. Sometimes the man who knows the most about hate can tell us the most about love, and the man acquainted with despair can teach us to hope.
Peacemaking: a family affair
by James W. ZionSep 30, 2000
- Peacemakers in the Navajo Nation can quickly get to the bottom of a situation that resulted in a crime.
by The Honorable Robert Yazzie Chief Justice of the Navajo NationSep 30, 2000
- Navajo Nation revises criminal code, reduces sentences, and requires peacemaking.
Seeds of Change: A Prison Garden Program
by Cathrine SneedSep 30, 2000
- Cathrine Sneed describes the development of the Horticulture Program for Inmates and the Garden Project employing former inmates.
Cry Out: Women Behind Bars
by Christine SchoeferSep 30, 2000
- Women inmates describe prison life and the impact of a support group that provides an emotional and creative outlet.
Learning To Choose
by Raymond RoySep 30, 2000
- Roy describes the development of a victim empathy class for prisoners in Oregon and it's impact on inmates.
Resource Guide: Reconciliation
Sep 30, 2000
- Resources around restorative justice and reconciliation.
Reader Stories And Letters
Sep 30, 2000
- Reader Stories and Letters in response the "Is It Time to Close the Prisons" Issue.
Prisons That Work
Sep 30, 2000
- Survey of prison reform. Prisons that Work. Adapted from "A Model Prison," by Robert Worth, from Atlantic Monthly November 1995; "Prison without Walls," by Jim Merkel, from In Context, Spring 1994; and "Politically Correct Punishment" by Jeffrey Banner, Mother Jones' MoJo Wire, March 2000.
Choose Life: End the Death Penalty
by Sister Helen PrejeanSep 30, 2000
- Sister Helen's work with Patrick Sonnier and her campaign against the death penalty.