Peace and Justice
Veteran Fasts for Peace
by Brooke JarvisNov 21, 2009
- Concerned for the mental health of soldiers, Thomas Mahany wrote a letter asking President Obama to "deal with the cause, not just the effect" of war's trauma by bringing troops home.
Fort Hood: We're Killing Ourselves
by Grace Lee BoggsNov 18, 2009
- Grace Boggs on breaking free from cycles of violence.
Let's Think Peace
Sep 21, 2009
- Huong, an artist, peace activist, and former refugee who fled her native Vietnam in 1975, has painted her visions of war and peace for more than three decades.
Youths Face the Holocaust
by Lynsi BurtonSep 09, 2009
- Facing History connects students to people who have witnessed injustice, like artist and Holocaust survivor Ava Kadishson Schieber.
Healing Power of Prison Poetry
by Eli HastingsSep 09, 2009
- Writers help teens in jail learn to express difficult truths by putting pencil to paper.
YES! Film Picks: War Child / The End of Poverty?
Feb 13, 2009
- Reviews of some of our favorite films of the season.
In Review :: Bill Cleveland’s Art and Upheaval
by Brooke JarvisFeb 13, 2009
- Review of Art and Upheaval: Artists on the World's Frontlines, by Bill Cleveland
YES! Film Picks :: The Power of Forgiveness
by Carol EstesOct 31, 2008
- This thoughtful film recounts the stories of people who have suffered almost unbearable losses and invites us into their struggles to forgive. The film also explores the life journeys of Holocaust-survivor Elie Wiesel and Vietnam War-survivor Thich Nhat Hanh. Both found so much power in forgiveness that they have made it the centerpiece of their life’s work...
by Madeline OstranderOct 31, 2008
- After growing up amid violence and harassment, Jarid Manos found a way out for himself and for troubled youth—restoring prairie ecosystems.
Building Peace in Iraq
by David Smith-FerriOct 03, 2008
- What happens when we listen to Iraqis' stories, and trust that Iraqis are the best source for information about their own experiences? The story of Direct Aid Iraq.
by Velcrow RipperJul 18, 2008
- In a world teetering on the edge of self-destruction, award-winning filmmaker Velcrow Ripper sets out on a unique pilgrimage. Visiting the 'Ground Zeroes' of the planet, he asks if it's possible to find hope in the darkest moments of human history.
Heal the Warrior, Heal the Country
by Edward TickMay 19, 2008
- Breaking the cycle of war making: our country will not find peace until we take responsibility for our wars.
FALLOUT: Coming Home From the War in Iraq
by Ava LoweryApr 30, 2008
- A short film by Ava Lowery about the war in Iraq and its effects on our returning troops. Pro-war or anti-war, we should all take the time to listen to what our returning troops have to say.
Where FEMA feared to Tread
by Tim ShorrockAug 09, 2006
- When Katrina hit New Orleans, medics on bicycles toured the city bringing relief where other agencies failed to show.
Men, War, and Families
by Robert F. Johnson, Gordon MustainJun 05, 2006
- Two poems by veterans who recall the effect of military combat on their own lives.