To move forward we must face the past.
Rehabilitation, Not Punishment: A Better Solution to Crime
posted Jun 29, 2011
- Video: Sarah van Gelder, co-founder and executive editor of YES! Magazine, discusses the innovative approach to crime used in Hawaii’s only women’s prison.
Recipes for Recovery
by James Tracyposted Jun 24, 2011
- Ex-cons show each other the way out at San Francisco's Delancey Street.
Farming Careers for Young Veterans
by Robert Mellingerposted Jun 15, 2011
- Soldiers returning to a bleak job market grow a new set of skills.
Preventing Sexual Assault
by Selena Shenposted Jun 15, 2011
- Freedom from harassment is part of students' right to an equal education.
Can Prison Be a Healing Place?
by Sarah van Gelderposted Jun 14, 2011
- Why the warden of Hawaii's only women's prison creates a sanctuary for its residents.
Why Punish Pain?
by Gabor Matéposted Jun 10, 2011
- A hit of compassion could keep drugs from becoming a crime problem.
Horses as Healers
by Lorna Shepardsonposted Jun 09, 2011
- What do you do with a teenager who’s angry, depressed, disconnected, or all of the above? Lorna Shepardson knows a magical gift horses possess that can help bring young people from the depths of darkness to a glimmer of self-confidence. This is Lorna’s story.
The Night I Forgave My Daughter’s Killer
by Marietta Jaeger-Lane, as told to Lynsi Burtonposted May 27, 2011
- How a grieving mother put compassion before vengeance, and found closure along the way.
A 9/11 Friendship of Forgiveness
posted May 26, 2011
- Phyllis Rodriguez' son was killed in the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center. Aicha el-Wafi's son was convicted of conspiring to plan the attack that killed him. In 2002, the two mothers met and became friends.
Truth and Reconciliation in New York
by David Kaczynskiposted May 13, 2011
- Ex-offenders and families of victims ask, how can we resolve the tension between our need to protect society, and our desire to believe in human redemption?
The Locked Gate: Standing Up for My Brother, Troy Davis, on Death Row
by Martina Davis-Correia, as told to Jen Marloweposted May 10, 2011
- My brother and I don't always agree, but I defend his innocence, and I'll never walk out on him again.
Voices of Compassion
posted May 01, 2011
- Personal stories of life beyond bars.
From Hiroshima to Fukushima: Rethinking Atomic Energy
by Jonathan Schellposted Mar 16, 2011
- The combined devastation of Japan's earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear plant explosion begs the question: Doesn't Mother Nature provide enough forces of destruction without humans adding one of our own?
Haitian Renaissance: Youth Paint a New Country
by Beverly Bellposted Mar 07, 2011
- How a community art program in Haiti is empowering young people to express their hope for a better future.
4 Ways to Stop Gun Violence
by Benjamin Van Houtenposted Feb 09, 2011
- The nation is grieving after yet another fatal mass shooting. Aren't there ways to curb this ongoing national tragedy?