To move forward we must face the past.
Raising Babies in Prison
by Abby Quillenposted Jan 14, 2011
- Supporting the bond between inmates and their newborns gives these families a better start.
Nathan Christensen Essay on “Heal the Warrior, Heal the Country”
by Nathan Christensenposted Dec 22, 2010
- Nathan Christensen, a student at Edmonds Community College in Edmonds, Washington, read and responded to the YES! Magazine article, "Heal the Warrior, Heal the Country" by Edward Tick. Read Nathan's essay on how he alleviated his conflict with soldiers.
Royce Baker Essay on “Heal the Warrior, Heal the Country”
by Royce Bakerposted Dec 22, 2010
- Royce Baker, a student at Edmonds Community College in Edmonds, Washington, read and responded to the YES! Magazine article, "Heal the Warrior, Heal the Country" by Edward Tick. Read Royce's essay on why he doesn't support war, but does support the soldier.
Shifting Sands: Jewish Women Confront the Israeli Occupation
by Linda Frankposted Dec 21, 2010
- 14 women find their voice in this collection of essays.
We're Still Writing “For Colored Girls”
by Jamilah Kingposted Dec 01, 2010
- Why Tyler Perry's adaptation of the classic play matters.
posted Nov 15, 2010
- Video: Go behind the scenes of Lynn Nottage's Pulitzer-prize winning play.
How I Fight For My Family
by Celeste Addai, as told to Tiffany Ranposted Nov 14, 2010
- Celeste Addai had never given much thought to immigration issues–until her Ghanaian husband had to flee in the night from ICE agents. Now family life happens just once a week, in secret.
Why I Have Hope for Haiti
by Beverly Bellposted Nov 12, 2010
- When people ask me, as they do all the time, “Is there any cause for hope in Haiti?” I answer yes.
Abolishing the War System: The Big Picture
by Michael N. Naglerposted Oct 12, 2010
- The patina of glory that surrounds war is wearing off. Is this the beginning of the end of the war mindset?
The Return of Jim Crow
by Carol Estesposted Sep 29, 2010
- How today's criminal justice system takes up where slavery and segregation left off
Emmanuel Jal: My Journey from Lost Boy to Activist
posted Sep 23, 2010
- Video: Emmanuel Jal, a former Sudanese child soldier, uses hip-hop to help African children and raise awareness for his cause.
Interfaith Amigos: On 9/11, Getting Beyond Religious Hatred
by Rabbi Ted Falcon, Pastor Don Mackenzie, Sheikh Jamal Rahmanposted Sep 10, 2010
- Brought together by the events of 9/11, three friends from different faiths reflect on what it will take to reach the other side of hatred.
Five Ways You Can Help Pakistan (and the Rest of Us)
by Sarah van Gelderposted Sep 01, 2010
- The Pakistani people need our help. Here’s what we can do today, and how to reduce the number of future disasters.
In New Orleans, Kindness Trumped Chaos
by Rebecca Solnitposted Aug 27, 2010
- Lessons of dedication, solidarity, love, and recovery, five years after Katrina.
A Paradise Built in Hell
by Rebecca Solnitposted Aug 13, 2010
- Rebecca Solnit's latest book explores communities that rise to the challenge of disaster.