To move forward we must face the past.
Fort Hood: We're Killing Ourselves
by Grace Lee Boggsposted Nov 18, 2009
- Grace Boggs on breaking free from cycles of violence.
Let's Think Peace
posted Sep 21, 2009
- Huong, an artist, peace activist, and former refugee who fled her native Vietnam in 1975, has painted her visions of war and peace for more than three decades.
Youths Face the Holocaust
by Lynsi Burtonposted Sep 09, 2009
- Facing History connects students to people who have witnessed injustice, like artist and Holocaust survivor Ava Kadishson Schieber.
Healing Power of Prison Poetry
by Eli Hastingsposted Sep 09, 2009
- Writers help teens in jail learn to express difficult truths by putting pencil to paper.
YES! Film Picks: War Child / The End of Poverty?
posted Feb 13, 2009
- Reviews of some of our favorite films of the season.
In Review :: Bill Cleveland’s Art and Upheaval
by Brooke Jarvisposted Feb 13, 2009
- Review of Art and Upheaval: Artists on the World's Frontlines, by Bill Cleveland
Iraqi Families on the Borders
by Johnny Barberposted Feb 13, 2009
- Families share their stories of escape and survival.
Art and Upheaval :: Photos from the Book
posted Feb 13, 2009
- This photo-essay features images from William Cleveland's book Art and Upheaval. The book tells remarkable stories about artists who resolve conflict, heal unspeakable trauma, give voice to the forgotten and disappeared, and restitch the cultural fabric of their communities.
YES! Film Picks :: The Power of Forgiveness
by Carol Estesposted Oct 31, 2008
- This thoughtful film recounts the stories of people who have suffered almost unbearable losses and invites us into their struggles to forgive. The film also explores the life journeys of Holocaust-survivor Elie Wiesel and Vietnam War-survivor Thich Nhat Hanh. Both found so much power in forgiveness that they have made it the centerpiece of their life’s work...
by Madeline Ostranderposted Oct 31, 2008
- After growing up amid violence and harassment, Jarid Manos found a way out for himself and for troubled youth—restoring prairie ecosystems.
Building Peace in Iraq
by David Smith-Ferriposted Oct 03, 2008
- What happens when we listen to Iraqis' stories, and trust that Iraqis are the best source for information about their own experiences? The story of Direct Aid Iraq.
by Velcrow Ripperposted Jul 18, 2008
- In a world teetering on the edge of self-destruction, award-winning filmmaker Velcrow Ripper sets out on a unique pilgrimage. Visiting the 'Ground Zeroes' of the planet, he asks if it's possible to find hope in the darkest moments of human history.
Heal the Warrior, Heal the Country
by Edward Tickposted May 19, 2008
- Breaking the cycle of war making: our country will not find peace until we take responsibility for our wars.
FALLOUT: Coming Home From the War in Iraq
by Ava Loweryposted Apr 30, 2008
- A short film by Ava Lowery about the war in Iraq and its effects on our returning troops. Pro-war or anti-war, we should all take the time to listen to what our returning troops have to say.
Where FEMA feared to Tread
by Tim Shorrockposted Aug 09, 2006
- When Katrina hit New Orleans, medics on bicycles toured the city bringing relief where other agencies failed to show.