Peace and Justice
Grounds for Resistance
Nov 01, 2011
- Video: Veteran-run coffee houses give service personnel a place to express their frustrations and find help outside the military.
People We Love: JR
Oct 20, 2011
- A former street artist makes art for humanity.
Standing on the Side of Peace
by Jen MarloweSep 21, 2011
- How one man’s journey changed everything I knew about the Middle East conflict.
After 9/11: An Interfaith Answer to Extremism
by Rabbi Ted Falcon, Pastor Don Mackenzie, Imam Jamal RahmanSep 09, 2011
- Brought together by 9/11, three friends of different faiths look for answers about when and why religion leads to violence.
A Truly Courageous Response to Terror
by Fran KortenSep 08, 2011
- What we can learn from Norway: Violence, fear, and political repression aren’t the only way to respond to a terrorist attack.
The Soul of the World
by Valerie TruebloodSep 07, 2011
- Book Review: Essays on the definition of terror and the consciousness of transformation.
How Art Can Turn the World Inside Out
Aug 11, 2011
- In Paris, Palestine, Peru, and beyond—guerrilla artist JR asks the people of the world share their faces to transform urban landscapes into stories.
Can the Aftermath of Disaster Be Beautiful?
by Anne ThomasAug 11, 2011
- A letter from a Sendai teacher describes the strange and “magnificent” community that survived last spring’s devastating earthquake.
A Poet Rewrites the War on Drugs
by Madhu Suri PrakashAug 03, 2011
- After the death of his son, poet Javier Sicilia gave voice to the anguish of the Mexican people—and started a powerful movement of moral indignation against the senseless slaughter of the war on drugs.
Righting Wrongs the Maori Way
by Allan MacRae, Howard ZehrJul 08, 2011
- Instead of prison, New Zealand chooses restorative justice and community problem-solving.
Rehabilitation, Not Punishment: A Better Solution to Crime
Jun 29, 2011
- Video: Sarah van Gelder, co-founder and executive editor of YES! Magazine, discusses the innovative approach to crime used in Hawaii’s only women’s prison.
Recipes for Recovery
by James TracyJun 24, 2011
- Ex-cons show each other the way out at San Francisco's Delancey Street.
Preventing Sexual Assault
by Selena ShenJun 15, 2011
- Freedom from harassment is part of students' right to an equal education.
Farming Careers for Young Veterans
by Robert MellingerJun 15, 2011
- Soldiers returning to a bleak job market grow a new set of skills.
Can Prison Be a Healing Place?
by Sarah van GelderJun 14, 2011
- Why the warden of Hawaii's only women's prison creates a sanctuary for its residents.