Peace and Justice
Can Prison Be a Healing Place?
by Sarah van GelderJun 14, 2011
- Why the warden of Hawaii's only women's prison creates a sanctuary for its residents.
Addictions Originate in Unhappiness—and Compassion Could Be the Cure
by Gabor MatéJun 10, 2011
- What kind of despair could lead someone to value short-term pain relief over life itself? The first question—always—is not “Why the addiction?” but “Why the pain?”
Horses as Healers
by Lorna ShepardsonJun 09, 2011
- What do you do with a teenager who’s angry, depressed, disconnected, or all of the above? Lorna Shepardson knows a magical gift horses possess that can help bring young people from the depths of darkness to a glimmer of self-confidence. This is Lorna’s story.
The Night I Forgave My Daughter’s Killer
by Marietta Jaeger-Lane, as told to Lynsi BurtonMay 27, 2011
- How a grieving mother put compassion before vengeance, and found closure along the way.
A 9/11 Friendship of Forgiveness
May 26, 2011
- Phyllis Rodriguez' son was killed in the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center. Aicha el-Wafi's son was convicted of conspiring to plan the attack that killed him. In 2002, the two mothers met and became friends.
Truth and Reconciliation in New York
by David KaczynskiMay 13, 2011
- Ex-offenders and families of victims ask, how can we resolve the tension between our need to protect society, and our desire to believe in human redemption?
The Locked Gate: Standing Up for My Brother, Troy Davis, on Death Row
by Martina Davis-Correia, as told to Jen MarloweMay 10, 2011
- My brother and I don't always agree, but I defend his innocence, and I'll never walk out on him again.
Voices of Compassion
May 01, 2011
- Personal stories of life beyond bars.
From Hiroshima to Fukushima: Rethinking Atomic Energy
by Jonathan SchellMar 16, 2011
- The combined devastation of Japan's earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear plant explosion begs the question: Doesn't Mother Nature provide enough forces of destruction without humans adding one of our own?
Haitian Renaissance: Youth Paint a New Country
by Beverly BellMar 07, 2011
- How a community art program in Haiti is empowering young people to express their hope for a better future.
4 Ways to Stop Gun Violence
by Benjamin Van HoutenFeb 09, 2011
- The nation is grieving after yet another fatal mass shooting. Aren't there ways to curb this ongoing national tragedy?
Raising Babies in Prison
by Abby QuillenJan 14, 2011
- Supporting the bond between inmates and their newborns gives these families a better start.
Shifting Sands: Jewish Women Confront the Israeli Occupation
by Linda FrankDec 21, 2010
- 14 women find their voice in this collection of essays.
We're Still Writing “For Colored Girls”
by Jamilah KingDec 01, 2010
- Why Tyler Perry's adaptation of the classic play matters.
Nov 15, 2010
- Video: Go behind the scenes of Lynn Nottage's Pulitzer-prize winning play.