Peace and Justice
Haitian Renaissance: Youth Paint a New Country
by Beverly BellMar 07, 2011
- How a community art program in Haiti is empowering young people to express their hope for a better future.
4 Ways to Stop Gun Violence
by Benjamin Van HoutenFeb 09, 2011
- The nation is grieving after yet another fatal mass shooting. Aren't there ways to curb this ongoing national tragedy?
Raising Babies in Prison
by Abby QuillenJan 14, 2011
- Supporting the bond between inmates and their newborns gives these families a better start.
Shifting Sands: Jewish Women Confront the Israeli Occupation
by Linda FrankDec 21, 2010
- 14 women find their voice in this collection of essays.
We're Still Writing “For Colored Girls”
by Jamilah KingDec 01, 2010
- Why Tyler Perry's adaptation of the classic play matters.
Nov 15, 2010
- Video: Go behind the scenes of Lynn Nottage's Pulitzer-prize winning play.
How I Fight For My Family
by Celeste Addai, as told to Tiffany RanNov 14, 2010
- Celeste Addai had never given much thought to immigration issues–until her Ghanaian husband had to flee in the night from ICE agents. Now family life happens just once a week, in secret.
Why I Have Hope for Haiti
by Beverly BellNov 12, 2010
- When people ask me, as they do all the time, “Is there any cause for hope in Haiti?” I answer yes.
Abolishing the War System: The Big Picture
by Michael N. NaglerOct 12, 2010
- The patina of glory that surrounds war is wearing off. Is this the beginning of the end of the war mindset?
The Return of Jim Crow
by Carol EstesSep 29, 2010
- How today's criminal justice system takes up where slavery and segregation left off
Emmanuel Jal: My Journey from Lost Boy to Activist
Sep 23, 2010
- Video: Emmanuel Jal, a former Sudanese child soldier, uses hip-hop to help African children and raise awareness for his cause.
Interfaith Amigos: On 9/11, Getting Beyond Religious Hatred
by Rabbi Ted Falcon, Pastor Don Mackenzie, Sheikh Jamal RahmanSep 10, 2010
- Brought together by the events of 9/11, three friends from different faiths reflect on what it will take to reach the other side of hatred.
Five Ways You Can Help Pakistan (and the Rest of Us)
by Sarah van GelderSep 01, 2010
- The Pakistani people need our help. Here’s what we can do today, and how to reduce the number of future disasters.
In New Orleans, Kindness Trumped Chaos
by Rebecca SolnitAug 27, 2010
- Lessons of dedication, solidarity, love, and recovery, five years after Katrina.
A Paradise Built in Hell
by Rebecca SolnitAug 13, 2010
- Rebecca Solnit's latest book explores communities that rise to the challenge of disaster.