Dignity and freedom for all.
Photo Essay: Israelis and Palestinians Join Up to Rebuild Homes
by Ben Gussposted Oct 18, 2012
- Volunteers from both the Jewish and Arab sides of the conflict join forces to rebuild homes demolished by the Israeli government.
Julie Erfle: Unlikely Advocate for Immigration Reform
posted Oct 08, 2012
- Instead of turning against undocumented immigrants after her husband's killing, this journalist chose to work for positive policy reform.
One Billion Rising
posted Sep 24, 2012
- Eve Ensler has said that nothing is more important than stopping violence against women. Her new short film encourages us to rise up do just that.
Is an End to the Death Penalty in Sight?
by Laura Moyeposted Sep 21, 2012
- What’s the good news about the troubling practice of execution in the U.S.? We’re already abolishing it, state by state.
Standing with Troy Davis in His Final Days
by Jen Marloweposted Sep 21, 2012
- A year ago today, the state of Georgia executed a man whose guilt was widely contested. Jen Marlowe, friend and journalist, on what it was like to stand with the Davis family on the last day.
- Fighting for Troy Davis: In Prayer and Protest
- The story in photos of the final day of Troy Davis's life for his family and supporters.
No Papers, No Fear: Risking Deportation at the DNC
by Molly Knefelposted Sep 06, 2012
- Why did ten undocumented immigrants choose to get arrested in Charlotte, even when they knew they could face deportation?
Widespread War on Reproductive Rights
by Lynsi Burtonposted Sep 04, 2012
- National polls show that most of the public supports birth control and abortion rights. So what’s with the trend of trying to limit them?
Photo Essay: Mexican Caravan Goes 5,600 Miles for Peace
by Erin Siegalposted Aug 30, 2012
- We share more than a border with the 116,000 Mexicans killed and disappeared in the War on Drugs. Take a ride across the U.S. with poet Javier Sicilia and their families on the Caravan for Peace.
America’s Deficit Attention Disorder
by David Kortenposted Aug 10, 2012
- Money is the least of our problems. It’s time to pay attention to the real deficits that are killing us.
Eve Ensler: Freedom Starts With a “V”
by Madeline Ostranderposted Aug 09, 2012
- The “Vagina Monologues” author on why knowing your body can shake up the world.
A Critical Mass for Real Food
by Anim Steelposted Aug 06, 2012
- The old logic of the slave plantation is still the logic of our industrial food system, 500 years in the making. There’s a new way of thinking taking off.
The Radical Dissent of Helen Keller
by Peter Dreierposted Jul 12, 2012
- Here’s what they don’t teach: When the blind-deaf visionary learned that poor people were more likely to be blind than others, she set off down a pacifist, socialist path that broke the boundaries of her time—and continues to challenge ours today.
Barrio Defense: How Arizona’s Immigrants are Standing Up to SB 1070
by B. Loeweposted Jun 21, 2012
- Beyond the Supreme Court: For immigrant communities in Arizona and beyond, the struggle against draconian laws begins at home.
You Can’t Ban History
posted May 31, 2012
- An artist's response to Arizona's ban on ethnic studies.