Peace and Justice
What Native Hawaiian Culture Can Teach Us About Gender Identity
by Jade SnowJul 27, 2015
- As the documentary Kumu Hina reveals, living between both genders is the more powerful “mahu" way.
Solar Panels Are Part of the Pope’s Revolution—But So Is Dismantling Structural Racism
by Anthony GiancatarinoJun 19, 2015
- The Pope is talking about a revolution that goes way beyond simply adding renewable energy to our current extractive economy.
150 Years Later, Two Universities Answer for Their Founder's Role in the Sand Creek Massacre
by Ned BlackhawkJun 08, 2015
- Under pressure from students and community members, Northwestern University and University of Denver take the first steps towards righting historic wrongs.
Young Guatemalan Farmers Fight For Land Rights, Local Food, and Sustainable Traditions Endangered by Global Trade Deals
by Jeff AbbottMay 05, 2015
- The same forces that have driven many onto the migrant trail have led to the emergence of a movement of young campesinos organizing to stay on their land.
From Watersheds to Mountains, What If We Based Our Borders on Nature?
by Rachael StoeveApr 06, 2015
- Bioregionalism is one possible vision of a future that works for people and for the Earth.
Deep in the Amazon, a Tiny Tribe Is Beating Big Oil
by David GoodmanFeb 12, 2015
- The people of Sarayaku are a leading force in 21st century indigenous resistance, engaging the western world politically, legally, and philosophically.
These Gorgeous Photographs Show Indigenous Americans Without the Stereotypes
by Natasha DonovanJan 30, 2015
- Three years ago, Matika Wilbur set out on an ambitious undertaking: a vast road trip across America to photograph members of all 562 of America’s federally-recognized tribes.
Restorative Justice at Work: How This Indigenous Wood Carver Is Finding Peace After a Seattle Officer Killed His Brother
by Kayla SchultzDec 26, 2014
- Rick Williams asked for calm when protesters demanded justice for his brother, who was shot and killed by a Seattle police officer. But he realizes that "the only way you can help change the system is show them you are a human being."
An Indigenous View on #BlackLivesMatter
by Leanne SimpsonDec 05, 2014
- I was reminded over and over this week that black and indigenous communities of struggle are deeply connected through our experiences with colonialism, oppression, and white supremacy.
An Alaska Native Myth Tells of a Never-Ending Blizzard—Now You Can Learn About It on Xbox
by Christopher Zumski FinkeNov 21, 2014
- The first video game developed by an indigenous-owned company uses gaming’s immersive storytelling style to connect players with Alaska Native culture.
Video: A Four-Point Plan to Protect Indigenous Lands from the Canadian Government
Nov 14, 2014
- The Canadian government has relaunched a process that many First Nations leaders believe would terminate their land claims. But indigenous-led grassroots movements are on the case.
Photo Essay: Indigenous Farmers Gather in the Andes to Plan for Climate Change
by Adam KerbyAug 18, 2014
- These photos document a gathering of indigenous groups from China, Bhutan, and Peru. They met in the spring to discuss climate change and plan a crop exchange program.
Guardians of the Plains: One Lakota Family's Plan to Fend off South Dakota's Epic Drought
by Kristin MoeAug 05, 2014
- Long years of drought in South Dakota have made it difficult for the soil to absorb water. A group led by indigenous women hopes to change that through a ambitious dam-building project.
Indigenous Seed Savers Gather in the Andes, Agree to Fight Climate Change with Biodiversity
by Erin SagenJul 30, 2014
- As climate change makes it more difficult to practice agriculture in their ancestral homelands, indigenous communities are exchanging seeds in hopes of finding the hardiest varieties.
Study Finds Indigenous Land Management Highly Effective in Combating Climate Change
by David KaimowitzJul 28, 2014
- The study highlights the story of Brazil, where increasing indigenous rights to the rainforest helped cut carbon emissions by 3.2 billion tons.