Peace and Justice
A Thousand Suns
Apr 12, 2010
- Our new problems might require paying attention to old wisdom. A new documentary looks to indigenous leadership for answers—and throws our way of life into sharp relief.
Climate Game Changer
by Sarah van GelderApr 02, 2010
- Can Cochabamba pick up where Copenhagen failed?
Economic Recovery, Hawaiian Style
by Lurline Wailana McGregorMar 29, 2010
- What indigenous economies can teach us about abundance.
Bolivia to Host Climate Summit for the People
by Margit ChristensonFeb 26, 2010
- Bolivian President Evo Morales has called for an alternative climate-change conference, this one involving governments as well as non-governmental organizations, indigenous groups, scientists, and environmentalists.
Avatar in the Amazon
Feb 23, 2010
- Indigenous Amazonian communities in Ecuador share their take on the American blockbuster, Avatar.
What’s Wrong with Avatar?
by Fran KortenJan 15, 2010
- James Cameron's Avatar has its pluses, but it elevates violence instead of depicting a real path to peace and cultural transformation.
Bolivia's Economic Success
by Sara KozamehDec 16, 2009
- By regaining public ownership of natural resources and focusing on social programs, the Morales administration has achieved record growth despite the recession.
Climate Hero Clayton Thomas-Müller
Dec 01, 2009
- Clayton Thomas-Müller is working to keep corporations from privatizing the atmosphere, as they have privatized the land and exploited the natural resources that once belonged to the First Nations of Canada.
Reconsider Columbus Day
Oct 12, 2009
- Does honoring Christopher Columbus with a federal holiday perpetuate a philosophy of racism and domination? A video sponsored by the United Confederation of Taino People, International Indian Treaty Council, and Rethinking Schools says that it does.
People We Love: Valerie Fast Horse
by Heather PurserSep 18, 2009
- Bringing technology to tribes
Native Recipe for Health
by Gabriel ThompsonSep 17, 2009
- The Tohono O’odham Nation tackles diabetes with a return to desert foods.
Climate Activists Dream a New Future
by Madeline OstranderSep 09, 2009
- The Pachamama Alliance encourages a re-examination of the values and assumptions that have led our society into social and environmental crises.
Episcopal Church Repudiates Doctrine of Discovery
by Gale Courey ToensingSep 01, 2009
- Tackling an injustice enshrined in international law for centuries.
Signs of Life :: Tribes Approve Same-Sex Marriage
by Heather PurserAug 28, 2009
- Same-sex marriage is not legal in Oregon, but an Oregon tribe has exercised its sovereignty to recognize same-sex marriages on its 10-square-mile reservation.
Signs of Life :: Amazon Tribes Win Against Big Oil
by Lisa Gale GarriguesAug 28, 2009
- In the Amazon rainforests of Peru and Ecuador, indigenous groups are on the front lines of the climate change battle.