PEACE & JUSTICE
A fair world lays the foundations for peace.
12 Hashtags That Changed the World in 2014
by Lindsey Weedstonposted Dec 19, 2014
- Slacktivism? Not so much. From #BlackLivesMatter to #BringBackOurGirls, this year's best hashtags around issues of social justice brought fresh voices into some of our most important conversations.
Kids on Chicago’s West Side Break the School-to-Prison Pipeline with Restorative Circles
by Maya Schenwarposted Dec 19, 2014
- For these Chicago students, restorative justice isn’t just about causing less harm to those around us. It’s also about actively creating safety, on their own terms.
"Forgiveness Is Liberating": Desmond Tutu On Healing A Nation's Racist Past
by Desmond Tutuposted Dec 12, 2014
- In 1997, he asked: "Who could have thought we would ever be an example, except of awfulness; who could ever have thought we would be held up as a model to the rest of the world?" Today, South Africa's healing process is a beacon of hope for the United States.
Video: Remembering Nelson Mandela and His Reconciliation Process—Which Is Needed Now More Than Ever
by Kayla Schultzposted Dec 05, 2014
- A singing flash mob honors the passing of Nelson Mandela, who died one year ago this week and helped establish South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation process after apartheid.
An Indigenous View on #BlackLivesMatter
by Leanne Simpsonposted Dec 05, 2014
- I was reminded over and over this week that black and indigenous communities of struggle are deeply connected through our experiences with colonialism, oppression, and white supremacy.
Why I Want to Burn Everything Down Right Now—And Why I’m Not Going To
by James Edwardsposted Dec 04, 2014
- What I learned from James Baldwin’s writing about race, in a moment of great anger.
Science Fiction and the Post-Ferguson World: “There Are as Many Ways to Exist as We Can Imagine”
by Mary Hansenposted Dec 03, 2014
- Radical science fiction and fantasy are a remedy for the belief that there is no alternative to the violence and inequality that surround us.
Mentally Ill People Often Face Violence From Police—But These Cities Are Trying to Fix That
by Daniel Rossposted Nov 28, 2014
- Crisis Intervention Teams train police officers to understand mental illness without resorting to violence.
Police Violence Is Not Inevitable: Four Ways a California Police Chief Connected Cops With Communities
by Steve Earlyposted Nov 28, 2014
- “A critical look at any institution with as much power and authority invested in it as the police is probably a good thing.”
“I’m Scared to Be a Black Male Walking Down the Street”: Seattle Teens on Why They Skipped School for a #Ferguson March
by Kayla Schultz, Mary Hansenposted Nov 26, 2014
- “We all just left class. As soon as 11:00 came, we stood up and walked out of class. Together as one.”
#Ferguson Thanksgiving: A Former Slave Proposed the Holiday 55 Years Before Lincoln. Why His Version Matters Today
by Jedediah Purdyposted Nov 26, 2014
- “For some, racial inequality and fear are raw realities every day, and anything inspiring in American history rings false and remote. For others, the call to reflect on injustice feels like a personal accusation. But we are caught in this history together.”
Why It's OK to Be Angry on Thanksgiving
by Shannon Hayesposted Nov 26, 2014
- Quite often it is our darker side that illuminates the best part of us, that brings us to where we need to be.
Undercover University: Palestinians Study Up in Israeli Prisons
by Emily Mulderposted Nov 25, 2014
- More than 40 percent of Palestinian males have spent time in Israeli prisons. The schools that operate within are increasingly important.
When the City Turned Off Their Water, Detroit Residents and Groups Delivered Help
by Larry Gabrielposted Nov 24, 2014
- Grassroots action has backed down the city’s aggressive water shutoffs.
New Film Shows How Florida Farmworkers Won Fairer Pay From America's Biggest Food Companies
by Nur Laljiposted Nov 21, 2014
- "This is not a film about oppression," said Food Chains executive producer Eva Longoria. "It's actually about transformation."