PEACE & JUSTICE
A fair world lays the foundations for peace.
Addressing Guatemala’s Educational Crisis
by Ryan Richardsposted Mar 10, 2008
- The Miguel Angel Asturias Academy offers a model for reforming Guatemala’s education system. Scholarships and low general tuition rates make the Academy accessible to even the poorest families. The curriculum combines strong academic fundamentals with training in leadership and human rights issues.
12 Steps Beyond Prisons
by Laura Magnani, Harmon L. Wrayposted Feb 04, 2008
- Adapted from Beyond Prisons: A New Interfaith Paradigm for Our Failed Prison System by Laura Magnani and Harmon L. Wray
Pete Seeger Interview: How Can I Keep from Singing?
by Sarah van Gelderposted Feb 01, 2008
- At the age of 94, Pete Seeger has passed away. Sarah van Gelder interviewed him in 2007 on a life of music and the power of millions of small changes.
Ecuador: Protecting Diverse Forests and Peoples
by Brooke Jarvisposted Jan 29, 2008
- Ecuador's president Rafael Correa offered to stop development of one of the country's largest oil reserves in exchange for debt relief. The ITT oil fields, located within Ecuador's Yasuni National Park, have become the center of an experiment that could bring equity and human rights into the climate equation.
Students Unite for a Department of Peace
by Rob Atkinsonposted Dec 27, 2007
- Southwestern University student Rob Atkinson describes his commitment to peace and involvement with the Student Peace Alliance.
Voices in Wartime
posted Dec 27, 2007
- Curriculum tools and resources from the Voices in Wartime Education Project.
Connect and Engage :: Teaching Peace
posted Dec 27, 2007
- Resources to accompany the December 2007 Education Connection newsletter on Teaching Peace: PeaceJam, Teaching Tolerance, Educators for NonViolence, Oxfam Education: Darfur-Teaching the Issues.
CODEPINK :: 7 Ways to Prevent War with Iran
by CODEPINKposted Nov 09, 2007
- CODEPINK suggests seven steps you can take to oppose a war with Iran.
People Taking Charge :6: Colombia Peace Village
posted Nov 07, 2007
- Individual villages in Colombia are resisting by remaining neutral, refusing to participate in the war, not carrying weapons, and saying no to injustice
Reclaiming Our Freedom to Learn
by Gustavo Estevaposted Nov 07, 2007
- Creating alternatives to traditional schools, in Oaxaca they created their own university, "unitierra", where students learn whatever they want to learn, where students are their communities, and learn by apprenticeship.
The Fine Art of Raising a Ruckus
by Jen Angelposted Nov 07, 2007
- Clowns and puppets, theater and drumbeats—street spectacle carves out space for experiencing a new world.
Interview with Victoria Tauli-Corpuz
by Sarah van Gelderposted Oct 29, 2007
- An historic event happened on September 13, 2007. The United Nations, after nearly 25 years of work, adopted the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
Debra Harry Stands Up For Native Knowledge
posted Aug 29, 2007
- Debra Harry Stands Up For Native Knowledge
China Blue trailer
posted Aug 12, 2007
- The trailer for China Blue, a powerful documentary about the sweatshop conditions in South China.
Commentary: An Honorable Exit from Iraq
by Poka Laenuiposted Jul 29, 2007
- Poka Laenui outlines the 7 steps the U.S. should take to achieve an honorable exit from Iraq.