Peace and Justice
Planting Seeds of Hope: How Sustainable Activism Transformed Detroit
by Grace Lee Boggs, Scott KurashigeJun 16, 2011
- After the death throes of urban decay, what the Motor City can teach us about vision, community, and the power of movements.
Two Points for the Tea Party. Now What?
by David KortenJun 16, 2011
- We can all agree that we've got deficit and spending problems. But where do we go from here?
Preventing Sexual Assault
by Selena ShenJun 15, 2011
- Freedom from harassment is part of students' right to an equal education.
Signs of Life: Summer 2011
Jun 15, 2011
- Small stories about big change.
Farming Careers for Young Veterans
by Robert MellingerJun 15, 2011
- Soldiers returning to a bleak job market grow a new set of skills.
Can Prison Be a Healing Place?
by Sarah van GelderJun 14, 2011
- Why the warden of Hawaii's only women's prison creates a sanctuary for its residents.
Restorative Justice: A Practical Alternative to Prison
Jun 14, 2011
- Patrice Gaines: We can keep our streets safe without throwing people away.
Addictions Originate in Unhappiness—and Compassion Could Be the Cure
by Gabor MatéJun 10, 2011
- What kind of despair could lead someone to value short-term pain relief over life itself? The first question—always—is not “Why the addiction?” but “Why the pain?”
Horses as Healers
by Lorna ShepardsonJun 09, 2011
- What do you do with a teenager who’s angry, depressed, disconnected, or all of the above? Lorna Shepardson knows a magical gift horses possess that can help bring young people from the depths of darkness to a glimmer of self-confidence. This is Lorna’s story.
Restoring Lives: Now That’s Justice
by Patrice GainesJun 08, 2011
- Forty years since prison, Patrice Gaines still fights to get free.
Ban the Box for a Fair Chance
by Aaron TanakaJun 08, 2011
- Breaking through "tough on crime" policies to give all Americans a chance at employment.
Think Outside the Bars
by Michelle AlexanderJun 08, 2011
- Why real justice means fewer prisons.
by Arthur LongworthJun 03, 2011
- A conversation through the walls of solitary confinement.
Instead of Prison
by Sarah van GelderJun 03, 2011
- 2.3 million people behind bars. How to stop wasting lives and money.
Drug Warrior No More
by Norm StamperJun 03, 2011
- Seattle's ex-police chief now fights to end the war on drugs.