Peace and Justice
Nader Calls for a Different 1 Percent
by Andy Lee RothJan 13, 2017
- Author and activist Ralph Nader wants to create a new 1 percent—one that will expose “conditions of deprivation and abuse” and champion “basic fair play.”
Post-Fascist Europe Tells Us Exactly How to Defend Our Democracy
by Timothy SnyderJan 13, 2017
- Have your passports ready, watch your language, and other advice from a Yale history professor.
What It Takes to Get Women Out of Prison—and Stay Out
by Zenobia JeffriesJan 12, 2017
- The rate of women in U.S. prisons is growing faster than men. But in New Orleans, one group is successfully tackling sentencing for drug use and sex work.
3 Ways Progressives Can Reconnect With Rural America
by Anthony FlaccaventoJan 12, 2017
- First, understand the environment is not only about climate change—it’s about livelihood for miners, drillers, loggers, and farmers like me.
Something Better to Offer Trump Voters Tired of Waiting for Their Turn
by David KortenJan 11, 2017
- A world free of extremes of wealth and poverty in which no one needs to stand in line for a chance at a secure and fulfilling life.
The Trump Era Will Test Us. What Are You Willing to Risk?
by Fran KortenJan 11, 2017
- Many of us have never had our courage or convictions challenged in frightening ways. That may change.
Standing Rock and the Return of the Nonviolent Campaign
by George LakeyJan 06, 2017
- There’s something even better than electoral politics and one-off protests when mobilizing citizen power.
The Cherokee Nation Is Entitled to a Delegate in Congress. But Will They Finally Send One?
by Tristan AhtoneJan 04, 2017
- To deal with a Trump administration, the tribal nation might now want to use that 200-year-old treaty right.
10 Indigenous and Environmental Struggles—And How You Can Help in 2017
by The Indigenous #NoDAPL CoalitionJan 01, 2017
- Whom to call, what to donate, and where to show up.
As a Trump Administration Fast Approaches, Cities and Towns Gear Up for Political Resistance
by Sally NeasDec 29, 2016
- In the years to come, community bills of rights are one strategy to shelter vulnerable populations.
Call for Submissions: “Sanctuary Communities”
by YES! EditorsDec 29, 2016
- Send us your ideas by Jan. 25.
New Year, New President, and Our Promise
by YES! EditorsDec 27, 2016
- We represent independent journalism. Even in the darkest times, you can depend on us to find the progressive solutions that will heal the planet and improve the lives of the many.
It Wasn’t All Bad: 5 Signs of Positive Change in 2016
by Sarah van GelderDec 27, 2016
- The election divided the year into “before” and “after.” But there remain signs of hope for 2017.
Standing Rock Prepared Us for Trump’s Billionaires and Oil Giants
by Mark TrahantDec 26, 2016
- Continuing to shrink our oil consumption is one way to challenge the oil uber alles mentality of the Trump administration.
Why I Kneeled Before Standing Rock Elders and Asked For Forgiveness
by Sarah van GelderDec 21, 2016
- “We fought you. We took your land. We signed treaties that we broke … But we’ve come to say that we are sorry.”