PEACE & JUSTICE
A fair world lays the foundations for peace.
Making Peace in South Asia: The Role of Citizens' Diplomacy
by Zia Mianposted Jan 29, 2010
- Tired of waiting for their governments to act, Indians and Pakistanis are uniting to find common ground and pathways to peace.
The True State of the Union
posted Jan 28, 2010
- Friends of YES! Magazine turn the president's address into a conversation about what it will really take to build a more perfect union.
Dave Moore: Fighter for Civil Rights and Working People
posted Jan 27, 2010
- Video: A tribute to Dave Moore, an icon of the civil rights and labor movements, who passed away in the fall of 2009 at the age of 97.
Cancel Haiti's Debt
by Sarah van Gelderposted Jan 27, 2010
- There's a growing movement to cancel Haiti's foreign debt as a way to return to the Haitian people the authority to rebuild their lives and their country.
A Global Push for Renewable Energy
by Alice Slaterposted Jan 21, 2010
- With 142 member nations already signed on, the new International Renewable Energy Agency is promoting a fast, global transition to clean, safe, and renewable energy.
Haiti Needs Aid, Not Militarization
by Phyllis Bennisposted Jan 20, 2010
- In the rush to provide life-saving aid to the people of Haiti, the U.S. military needs to get its priorities straight.
Year One: How Did Obama Do on Foreign Policy?
by John Fefferposted Jan 20, 2010
- The Obama administration banned torture and worked toward nuclear disarmament... but also escalated U.S. military operations. John Feffer gives it a C minus.
Turning Back the Doomsday Clock
by Joe Copelandposted Jan 19, 2010
- The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists says the world is at a turning point when it comes to tackling nuclear war and climate change, "the two gravest threats to civilization."
What’s Wrong with Avatar?
by Fran Kortenposted Jan 15, 2010
- James Cameron's Avatar has its pluses, but it elevates violence instead of depicting a real path to peace and cultural transformation.
The Power of Nonviolent Movements
by Bryan Farrellposted Jan 14, 2010
- Anti-nuclear activist Jonathan Schell offers motivation and tactical advice to the new generation of climate activists.
What You Can Do to Help Haiti
by Sarah van Gelderposted Jan 13, 2010
- The best options for helping the Haitian people recover from the devastating January 12 earthquake.
12 Innovations From the '00s That Could Save Us
by Sarah van Gelderposted Jan 01, 2010
- With climate disruption, war, and a faltering economy, the '00s were tough. Still, seeds were sewn for a more green and egalitarian 2010s. And peoples movements offer the power to make real change happen.
"Peacing It Together" Unites Israeli and Palestinian Teens
posted Dec 29, 2009
- A movie trailer for the 30-minute documentary "Peacing It Together," which follows 10 Israeli, 10 Palestinian, ad 9 Canadian teens as they make films together that focus on peace.
Curriculum and Resources: Americans Who Tell the Truth
posted Dec 28, 2009
- Robert Shetterly's remarkable collection of portraits reminds us of the dignity, courage and importance of America's truth tellers. Here we offer curriculum tools to support the series.
Tsunami Survivors Fight for Land Rights
by Robert Reynoldsposted Dec 26, 2009
- In Thailand, the Indian Ocean tsunami allowed resort developers to push indigenous coastal communities off their land. Villages are fighting back--and winning legal rights to their homes.