PEACE & JUSTICE
A fair world lays the foundations for peace.
Signs of Life :: Activists Seek Peace in Gaza
by Stephen Zunesposted Feb 13, 2009
- After a military assault in Gaza, activists seek peace.
Iraqi Families on the Borders
by Johnny Barberposted Feb 13, 2009
- Families share their stories of escape and survival.
4 Ways to Fix the Farm Bill
by Anna Stern, Madeline Ostranderposted Feb 13, 2009
- A "Food Bill" instead of a Farm Bill.
Art and Upheaval :: Photos from the Book
posted Feb 13, 2009
- This photo-essay features images from William Cleveland's book Art and Upheaval. The book tells remarkable stories about artists who resolve conflict, heal unspeakable trauma, give voice to the forgotten and disappeared, and restitch the cultural fabric of their communities.
Visual Learning: Week of Nonviolence
posted Jan 27, 2009
- Use this photo to ask your students what they notice and are wondering. Then share the facts behind the image to connect to greater understanding and discovery.
Connect and Engage: Making History
posted Jan 16, 2009
- To teach happiness, be happy. Teachers, in particular, need support to be passionate and content in a challenging profession. The Center for Courage and Renewal's "Courage to Teach" supports this belief with essays, articles, and a retreat program.
Obama: No Human Being is Illegal
by Roberto Dr. Cintli Rodriguezposted Nov 14, 2008
- Sen. Barack Obama's resounding victory is a generational victory. As one friend told me, it is 400 years in the making. In that sense, that explains the tears and the dancing in the streets across the nation and across the suddenly very small world we live in...
Quote :: issue 46 :: Split This Rock
posted Nov 12, 2008
- “I dream of a child who will ask, ‘Mother, what was war?’”
Quote :: issue 41 :: Cornel West
by Cornel Westposted Nov 12, 2008
- America—this monument to the genius of ordinary men and women, this place where hope becomes capacity, this long, halting turn of the NO into the YES, needs citizens who love it enough to re-imagine and remake it.” Cornel West.
The Power of Forgiveness
posted Nov 04, 2008
- The Power of Forgiveness explores the challenges and reveals how forgiveness can transform your life.
posted Nov 04, 2008
- East meets West in the Deep South. An overcrowded maximum-security prison—the end of the line in Alabama's correctional system—is dramatically changed by the influence of an ancient meditation program.
YES! Film Picks :: The Power of Forgiveness
by Carol Estesposted Oct 31, 2008
- This thoughtful film recounts the stories of people who have suffered almost unbearable losses and invites us into their struggles to forgive. The film also explores the life journeys of Holocaust-survivor Elie Wiesel and Vietnam War-survivor Thich Nhat Hanh. Both found so much power in forgiveness that they have made it the centerpiece of their life’s work...
People We Love :: Thomas Dart
posted Oct 31, 2008
- A Chicago sheriff is resisting the push from banks to evict residents of foreclosed properties, including rent-paying tenants.
Signs of Life :: Bolivia Constitution Reform Likely
by Jim Shultzposted Oct 31, 2008
- Bolivia is poised to pass a new constitution aimed at providing indigenous autonomy, land reform, and popular control of natural resources.
by Madeline Ostranderposted Oct 31, 2008
- After growing up amid violence and harassment, Jarid Manos found a way out for himself and for troubled youth—restoring prairie ecosystems.