PEACE & JUSTICE
A fair world lays the foundations for peace.
The Bomb in the Age of Obama
posted Nov 10, 2009
- Trailer for a 30-minute special by Kevin Sanders about the nuclear abolition movement.
People Power Brought Down the Berlin Wall
by Sarah van Gelderposted Nov 09, 2009
- Some say it was Ronald Reagan's toughness that forced down the wall. But detente between East and West and grassroots people's movements deserve the credit.
In Defense of the Goldstone Report
by Stephen Zunesposted Nov 05, 2009
- Stephen Zunes: By condemning the report on war crimes committed during the Gaza war, the U.S. Congress is undermining the protection of human rights.
by Jim Wallisposted Nov 04, 2009
- Counter-insurgency? Counter-terrorism? What we need is a whole new approach—leading with development and the knowledge of NGOs on the ground, writes Jim Wallis.
The Economics of Peace
by David Kortenposted Nov 02, 2009
- On October 19, I spoke to the Praxis Peace Institute's Economics of Peace Conference in Sonoma, California. You can read my remarks here.
Military Leaders Call for Urgent Climate Action
by Brooke Jarvisposted Oct 30, 2009
- Climate change is teaching military leaders to think about security in a new way.
Finding an Exit from the Afghan Trap
by Patrick Sealeposted Oct 23, 2009
- The current debate in Washington, focused on troop numbers and military strategy, has failed to give any serious attention to the possibility of bringing the Afghan war to an end by political means.
States Reconsider the Death Penalty
by Richard Dieterposted Oct 20, 2009
- New reports find that, while the death penalty drains money from state budgets, police chiefs don't consider it effective in deterring crime.
8 Years of War—And What Do We Get?
by Jo Comerfordposted Oct 13, 2009
- The skyrocketing costs and casualties of the war in Afghanistan should make us re-evaluate our national priorities and broaden our definition of security.
Reconsider Columbus Day
posted Oct 12, 2009
- Does honoring Christopher Columbus with a federal holiday perpetuate a philosophy of racism and domination? A video sponsored by the United Confederation of Taino People, International Indian Treaty Council, and Rethinking Schools says that it does.
Nobel Committee, Strategic as Ever, Taps Obama for Peace Prize
by Robert Naimanposted Oct 09, 2009
- In giving this award, the Committee is saying to the U.S.: "Showing signs of significant improvement. Keep up the good work."
How to Exit Afghanistan
by Erik Leaverposted Oct 01, 2009
- An exit strategy is the best way to support Afghanistan's long-term prospects for peace and prosperity.
Toward a Nuclear-Free Future
by Joseph Cirincioneposted Sep 23, 2009
- In his speech to the U.N., Obama made the case for nuclear disarmament.
Costa Rica Creates Department of Peace
by Susie Shuttsposted Sep 22, 2009
- Former justice ministry will now focus on promoting peace and conflict resolution.
posted Sep 22, 2009
- Like YES! Magazine, Rethinking Schools strives to be both visionary and practical. We are delighted to share three of many lesson plans from Rethinking Schools that get to the heart of a real-world education.