Peace and Justice
Bolivia's Economic Success
by Sara KozamehDec 16, 2009
- By regaining public ownership of natural resources and focusing on social programs, the Morales administration has achieved record growth despite the recession.
Why is Costa Rica Smiling?
by Lisa Gale GarriguesDec 15, 2009
- How a focus on peace is helping this Central American country top the Happy Planet Index.
by Rinku SenDec 15, 2009
- ColorLines' Rinku Sen finds this guide useful for "anyone who stays close to the ground as they help to change that landscape".
Guardians of the Revolution
by John FefferDec 15, 2009
- Iran and the United States do not have to remain eternal enemies. So argues Ray Takeyh, an Iranian-born scholar at the Council on Foreign Relations, in his useful and engaging new book.
White House Opens Visitor Log to the Public
by Heather PurserDec 15, 2009
- The White House has begun making its visitor logs publicly available on its website, reversing a Bush administration policy that kept such records secret.
Homeland Security Addresses Rights Violations
by Susie ShuttsDec 15, 2009
- In October, the Department of Homeland Security announced reforms aimed at improving conditions for immigrants being held in detention centers.
Human Rights in the Age of Obama
by Tanya DawkinsDec 15, 2009
- Interview with Ajamu Baraka: Protecting human rights during a recession means rethinking the role of government, taking direct action, and creating an equitable society.
People We Love :: Jacqueline Cabasso
by Susie ShuttsDec 15, 2009
- Working to abolish nuclear weapons.
People We Love :: Bahati Kizungu
by Lynsi BurtonDec 15, 2009
- Reporting for children’s rights.
Global South Demands Climate Justice
by Jennifer Krill, Adrian Wilson.Dec 09, 2009
- Delegates from developing nations are worried about the fairness of the COP-15 process after the leakage of an early negotiation text.
When Our Leaders Fail to Lead
by David KortenDec 02, 2009
- We have to make them. What David Korten learned from his experiences during the Vietnam War.
Obama's Afghanistan Speech: Where Do We Go from Here?
by Phyllis BennisDec 02, 2009
- What the president said, what he left out, and what we can still do to promote peace.
7 Ways the Battle of Seattle Changed the World
by Fran KortenDec 01, 2009
- Ten years later, the protests of 1999 are still having an impact.
Climate Hero Clayton Thomas-Müller
Dec 01, 2009
- Clayton Thomas-Müller is working to keep corporations from privatizing the atmosphere, as they have privatized the land and exploited the natural resources that once belonged to the First Nations of Canada.
The WTO and the Myth of Activist Violence
by Rebecca SolnitNov 25, 2009
- The people who have made our world through direct action have been treated as dangerous, even if they are revered when their radical acts are at a safe distance.