Peace and Justice
Signs of Life: Summer 2011
Jun 15, 2011
- Small stories about big change.
Farming Careers for Young Veterans
by Robert MellingerJun 15, 2011
- Soldiers returning to a bleak job market grow a new set of skills.
Can Prison Be a Healing Place?
by Sarah van GelderJun 14, 2011
- Why the warden of Hawaii's only women's prison creates a sanctuary for its residents.
Restorative Justice: A Practical Alternative to Prison
Jun 14, 2011
- Patrice Gaines: We can keep our streets safe without throwing people away.
Addictions Originate in Unhappiness—and Compassion Could Be the Cure
by Gabor MatéJun 10, 2011
- What kind of despair could lead someone to value short-term pain relief over life itself? The first question—always—is not “Why the addiction?” but “Why the pain?”
Horses as Healers
by Lorna ShepardsonJun 09, 2011
- What do you do with a teenager who’s angry, depressed, disconnected, or all of the above? Lorna Shepardson knows a magical gift horses possess that can help bring young people from the depths of darkness to a glimmer of self-confidence. This is Lorna’s story.
Restoring Lives: Now That’s Justice
by Patrice GainesJun 08, 2011
- Forty years since prison, Patrice Gaines still fights to get free.
Ban the Box for a Fair Chance
by Aaron TanakaJun 08, 2011
- Breaking through "tough on crime" policies to give all Americans a chance at employment.
Think Outside the Bars
by Michelle AlexanderJun 08, 2011
- Why real justice means fewer prisons.
by Arthur LongworthJun 03, 2011
- A conversation through the walls of solitary confinement.
Instead of Prison
by Sarah van GelderJun 03, 2011
- 2.3 million people behind bars. How to stop wasting lives and money.
Drug Warrior No More
by Norm StamperJun 03, 2011
- Seattle's ex-police chief now fights to end the war on drugs.
Vincent Harding: An Open Letter to President Obama
by Dr. Vincent HardingJun 02, 2011
- Vincent Harding, a key figure in the civil rights movement and the author of Martin Luther King Jr.'s famous speech condemning the Vietnam War, tells of his reaction to the news of Osama bin Laden's death and his hopes for a just peace.
A Peaceful End to the War on Drugs?
by Rebecca LeisherMay 27, 2011
- The international war on drugs isn't stopping drug use or trafficking—but it is ruining lives. Drug policy expert Sanho Tree on what we can do differently.
The Night I Forgave My Daughter’s Killer
by Marietta Jaeger-Lane, as told to Lynsi BurtonMay 27, 2011
- How a grieving mother put compassion before vengeance, and found closure along the way.