Peace and Justice
Nuke Test Makes Nuclear Abolition More Important Than Ever
by Joe CopelandMay 29, 2009
- North Korea’s firing of a short-range nuclear missile in May 2009 makes it even more urgent that we eliminate nuclear weapons from all the countries of the world—including all members of today’s nuclear club.
Signs of Life :: Activists Protests Drone Warfare in Afghanistan
by Valerie SaturenMay 07, 2009
- An interfaith Sacred Peace Walk organized by the Nevada Desert Experience sought to engage in dialogue with Air Force personnel operating Predator and Reaper drones from the base.
Signs of Life :: New Mexico Ends Capital Punishment
by Kim EckartMay 07, 2009
- New Mexico becomes the second state to abolish the death penalty, since the U.S. Supreme Court reinstated capital punishment in 1976.
President Obama Calls for a World Free of Nuclear Weapons
by David KriegerApr 07, 2009
- President Obama’s speech in Prague was a world-changing moment, a promise of unprecedented historical change on the most profoundly dangerous issue confronting not only America but the world.
Is There Hope for Sri Lanka?
by Sharif AbdullahApr 01, 2009
- Sharif Abdullah reports on the situation in Sri Lanka, and finds hope for conflict resolution.
The City that Ended Hunger
by Frances Moore LappeFeb 13, 2009
- A city in Brazil recruited local farmers to help do something U.S. cities have yet to do: end hunger.
YES! Film Picks: War Child / The End of Poverty?
Feb 13, 2009
- Reviews of some of our favorite films of the season.
In Review :: Bill Cleveland’s Art and Upheaval
by Brooke JarvisFeb 13, 2009
- Review of Art and Upheaval: Artists on the World's Frontlines, by Bill Cleveland
Signs of Life :: Activists Seek Peace in Gaza
by Stephen ZunesFeb 13, 2009
- After a military assault in Gaza, activists seek peace.
4 Ways to Fix the Farm Bill
by Anna Stern, Madeline OstranderFeb 13, 2009
- A "Food Bill" instead of a Farm Bill.
Visual Learning: Week of Nonviolence
by Jing FongJan 27, 2009
- Use this photo to ask your students what they notice and are wondering. Then share the facts behind the image to connect to greater understanding and discovery.
Connect and Engage: Making History
by Jing FongJan 16, 2009
- To teach happiness, be happy. Teachers, in particular, need support to be passionate and content in a challenging profession. The Center for Courage and Renewal's "Courage to Teach" supports this belief with essays, articles, and a retreat program.
Obama: No Human Being is Illegal
by Roberto Dr. Cintli RodriguezNov 14, 2008
- Sen. Barack Obama's resounding victory is a generational victory. As one friend told me, it is 400 years in the making. In that sense, that explains the tears and the dancing in the streets across the nation and across the suddenly very small world we live in...
Quote :: issue 46 :: Split This Rock
Nov 12, 2008
- “I dream of a child who will ask, ‘Mother, what was war?’”
Quote :: issue 41 :: Cornel West
by Cornel WestNov 12, 2008
- America—this monument to the genius of ordinary men and women, this place where hope becomes capacity, this long, halting turn of the NO into the YES, needs citizens who love it enough to re-imagine and remake it.” Cornel West.