Peace and Justice
5 Protests That Shook the World (With Laughter)
by The Yes MenJul 12, 2011
- Great moments in “laughtivism” from Yes Men Andy Bichlbaum and Mike Bonanno, the guys who duped the BBC, embarrassed Dow Chemical, and mocked Halliburton.
Righting Wrongs the Maori Way
by Allan MacRae, Howard ZehrJul 08, 2011
- Instead of prison, New Zealand chooses restorative justice and community problem-solving.
An Appeal to U2: Who is More Rooted?
by Robin Broad, John CavanaghJul 04, 2011
- Anti-poverty crusaders like Bono call critical attention to what's wrong with the world. But what if we also showed who's doing it right?
School of Second Chances
by Carol EstesJul 01, 2011
- Inmates who get an education are less likely to reoffend when they're released. So why are prison education programs getting cut?
Rehabilitation, Not Punishment: A Better Solution to Crime
Jun 29, 2011
- Video: Sarah van Gelder, co-founder and executive editor of YES! Magazine, discusses the innovative approach to crime used in Hawaii’s only women’s prison.
Recipes for Recovery
by James TracyJun 24, 2011
- Ex-cons show each other the way out at San Francisco's Delancey Street.
Define American: Jose Antonio Vargas Tells His Story
Jun 23, 2011
- Video: Pulitzer-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas opens up about his life as an undocumented immigrant—and the "underground railroad" that made it possible.
U.S. Mayors: End the Wars, Please
by John NicholsJun 22, 2011
- U.S. mayors: The money we spend on military adventures abroad could be better spent meeting needs at home.
Planting Seeds of Hope: How Sustainable Activism Transformed Detroit
by Grace Lee Boggs, Scott KurashigeJun 16, 2011
- After the death throes of urban decay, what the Motor City can teach us about vision, community, and the power of movements.
Two Points for the Tea Party. Now What?
by David KortenJun 16, 2011
- We can all agree that we've got deficit and spending problems. But where do we go from here?
Preventing Sexual Assault
by Selena ShenJun 15, 2011
- Freedom from harassment is part of students' right to an equal education.
Signs of Life: Summer 2011
Jun 15, 2011
- Small stories about big change.
Farming Careers for Young Veterans
by Robert MellingerJun 15, 2011
- Soldiers returning to a bleak job market grow a new set of skills.
Can Prison Be a Healing Place?
by Sarah van GelderJun 14, 2011
- Why the warden of Hawaii's only women's prison creates a sanctuary for its residents.
Restorative Justice: A Practical Alternative to Prison
Jun 14, 2011
- Patrice Gaines: We can keep our streets safe without throwing people away.