Peace and Justice
Military Resistance a Strong Brew
by Dean PatonNov 11, 2011
- Near the gates of Fort Lewis, anti-war veterans serve up support and solidarity (along with double-tall lattes) to their friends in uniform.
Grounds for Resistance
Nov 01, 2011
- Video: Veteran-run coffee houses give service personnel a place to express their frustrations and find help outside the military.
A Story of Slavery and Freedom in Florida's Tomato Fields
Nov 01, 2011
- Video: A short documentary shows a side of tomatoes few people ever see or think about.
Inside Occupy Oakland
by Dan ArcherOct 27, 2011
- This week, police closed down Occupy Oakland, arresting dozens. Comics journalist Dan Archer visited the encampment before the raid to meet the people behind the occupation.
Women Farmers Feed the World
by Christa HillstromOct 22, 2011
- In Africa, women’s resistance to the new Green Revolution shows that the question of agricultural sustainability is also a question of equality.
People We Love: Hilton Kelley
Oct 20, 2011
- A local hero steps up to help save the environment and his community.
People We Love: JR
Oct 20, 2011
- A former street artist makes art for humanity.
The Tricks of the Trade Deals
by Kristen Beifus, Christa HillstromOct 11, 2011
- Three new agreements are predicted to kill jobs and solidify corporate power. It's our turn to have a say in how we trade.
Gold or Water: The Fight Goes on in El Salvador
by Robin Broad, John CavanaghOct 10, 2011
- With the eyes of the world on mass protests against corporate control of governments, El Salvador debates a new ban on gold mining.
Prison or Deportation: What Choices Are Immigrants Given?
by Elizabeth Ruiz, as told to Oliver LazenbyOct 07, 2011
- On her way to work one morning, Elizabeth Ruiz took a two-month detour to a detention center. What she gave up to keep her family together.
The No-Evictions Sheriff
by Sarah van GelderSep 26, 2011
- Cheri Honkala promises to be a sheriff who will stand up for families, not banks.
The Innocence Project and Prison Food
by Jing FongSep 22, 2011
- Use the Innocence Project’s interactive resources to understand the causes of wrongful convictions and exonerations, and see how your school's cafeteria food measures up to prison food with this tell-it-like-it is infographic.
Troy Davis' Last Request
by Sarah van GelderSep 22, 2011
- Troy Davis’ last words before his execution on Wednesday night included this call: The tragedy of American capital punishment must come to an end.
Visual Learning: "Out of many, one"
by Katelin CarterSep 22, 2011
- This Visual Learning lesson will get your students thinking about the growing number of organizations dedicated to making this world a better place, and how art has a magical, powerful way of making bold statements.
Standing on the Side of Peace
by Jen MarloweSep 21, 2011
- How one man’s journey changed everything I knew about the Middle East conflict.