Peace and Justice
Waiting (or Not) for Superman
by Jing FongFeb 09, 2011
- The documentary “Waiting for Superman” has stirred up conversation and debate about one of our nation’s biggest concerns—the state of public education. A follow-up campaign is under way to fix education. NOT Waiting for Superman, initiated by Rethinking Schools, says the film got the message all wrong.
Revolution Doesn't Happen Overnight
by Stephen ZunesFeb 08, 2011
- Those who were expecting a quick victory in Egypt are no doubt disappointed, but successful People Power movements of recent decades have usually been protracted struggles.
YES! Recommends: Centre for Child Honouring, and Voices Education Project
by Jing FongFeb 06, 2011
- If we made children our top priority, would we create a better world? The Centre for Child Honouring and Voices [Education Project] are helping create peaceful, sustainable societies.
Tunisia, Egypt, and the Big Picture
by Nafeez Mosaddeq AhmedFeb 02, 2011
- Egypt lies on the fault lines of the convergence of global ecological, energy, and economic crises—and thus, on the frontlines of deepening global system failure.
Egypt: Lessons in Democracy
by Stephen ZunesFeb 01, 2011
- Could 2011 be to the Arab world what 1989 was to Eastern Europe?
Robert Sapolsky: The Uniqueness of Humans
Feb 01, 2011
- What can we learn from our similarities and differences in relation to other animals?
Film Trailer: Countdown to Zero
Feb 01, 2011
- An estimated 23,000 nuclear weapons exist in the world. Why that number needs to be zero.
Danny Glover: The Black Power Mixtape
Jan 28, 2011
- Amy Goodman sits down with Danny Glover at the Sundance Film Festival to talk about his new documentary, The Black Power Mixtape.
Van Jones: The Economic Injustice of Plastic
by Van JonesJan 27, 2011
- Video: How plastic unfairly harms the poor—and what the rest of us can do about it.
A Hands-On New Year
by Grace Lee BoggsJan 26, 2011
- Grace Lee Boggs: The next decade will bring further changes in the way we think about food, work, and education.
Hope Amid Hatred
by Pastor Don MackenzieJan 19, 2011
- Our polarization and anger are signs of hopelessness. What can interfaith dialogue teach us about healing our wounds and coming together?
How Shall We Celebrate Martin Luther King's Birthday?
by Grace Lee BoggsJan 17, 2011
- Grace Lee Boggs discussed the legacy of Rev. Martin Luther King with Vincent Harding, a close associate of King's. Originally posted in January 2010, we're bringing it back as we celebrate MLK's birthday 2011.
Raising Babies in Prison
by Abby QuillenJan 14, 2011
- Supporting the bond between inmates and their newborns gives these families a better start.
Good Governance in Indian Country
by Michael LipskyJan 06, 2011
- Honoring Nations recognizes tribal leadership.
10 Most Hopeful Stories of 2010
by Sarah van GelderDec 22, 2010
- There was plenty of disappointment and hardship this year. But the year also brought opportunities for transformation.