Peace and Justice
Ban the Box for a Fair Chance
by Aaron TanakaJun 08, 2011
- Breaking through "tough on crime" policies to give all Americans a chance at employment.
Think Outside the Bars
by Michelle AlexanderJun 08, 2011
- Why real justice means fewer prisons.
by Arthur LongworthJun 03, 2011
- A conversation through the walls of solitary confinement.
Instead of Prison
by Sarah van GelderJun 03, 2011
- 2.3 million people behind bars. How to stop wasting lives and money.
Drug Warrior No More
by Norm StamperJun 03, 2011
- Seattle's ex-police chief now fights to end the war on drugs.
Vincent Harding: An Open Letter to President Obama
by Dr. Vincent HardingJun 02, 2011
- Vincent Harding, a key figure in the civil rights movement and the author of Martin Luther King Jr.'s famous speech condemning the Vietnam War, tells of his reaction to the news of Osama bin Laden's death and his hopes for a just peace.
A Peaceful End to the War on Drugs?
by Rebecca LeisherMay 27, 2011
- The international war on drugs isn't stopping drug use or trafficking—but it is ruining lives. Drug policy expert Sanho Tree on what we can do differently.
The Night I Forgave My Daughter’s Killer
by Marietta Jaeger-Lane, as told to Lynsi BurtonMay 27, 2011
- How a grieving mother put compassion before vengeance, and found closure along the way.
A 9/11 Friendship of Forgiveness
May 26, 2011
- Phyllis Rodriguez' son was killed in the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center. Aicha el-Wafi's son was convicted of conspiring to plan the attack that killed him. In 2002, the two mothers met and became friends.
Mexicans Reject U.S.-Backed Drug War
by Laura CarlsenMay 19, 2011
- Led by a popular poet, tens of thousands of protesters fill the streets of Mexico to speak out against the war on drugs.
Truth and Reconciliation in New York
by David KaczynskiMay 13, 2011
- Ex-offenders and families of victims ask, how can we resolve the tension between our need to protect society, and our desire to believe in human redemption?
Keepers of the Seeds
by Winona LaDukeMay 12, 2011
- Winona LaDuke: How Native farmers and gardeners are working to preserve their agricultural heritage.
Just the Facts: It's a Locking-People-Up Problem
by Robert Mellinger and Doug PibelMay 12, 2011
- The American problem with mass incarceration is less about crime than it is about how—and who—we lock up.
The Locked Gate: Standing Up for My Brother, Troy Davis, on Death Row
by Martina Davis-Correia, as told to Jen MarloweMay 10, 2011
- My brother and I don't always agree, but I defend his innocence, and I'll never walk out on him again.
Making a Living
by David KortenMay 09, 2011
- We can all live well with what Earth provides—if we seek to make a living rather than a killing.